SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 12:06:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideal 55 Wiring / 2 Prong Plug Replacement?  (Read 8082 times)
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« on: April 28, 2012, 04:36:28 pm »

Been working on re-wiring a Ideal 55 Slider to see if I can get it up and running for the patio.  I have a wiring harness in my inventory I was going to use.  It looks like the generic harness with the ground wire, with the 6 leads that come off from it.  I noticed that it's missing the "2" prong plug that goes into the harness block from the fan motor?

I'm trying to figure out the rewiring of the this machine as it's looks much different than others.  I know I have 3 sets of leads.  I assume as follows;

1.) 2 leads go to the thermostat
2.) 2 leads wire into the terminal block?
3.) 2 leads fan motor?

Also in general what is the best was to orientate the new box in the machine?  And how do you tell by looking at the wiring harness which leads go to what?  And last but not least what should I used to make a 2 - Prong Plug? 
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 04:51:16 pm »

The replacement wire harness shown is for an upright machine but it can be used with a slider/chest machine too, none of them ( the repo'd harnesses) come with the 2-prong "tail" connector though.

if your original is in good shape, you need to wire it to both the compressor and the condenser-fan motor
(they are both going to be wired in parallel) so they both tun on & off together, once the compressor & condenser motor are spliced onto the "tail" connector ( 2-prong plug)  it ( the plug) will go into the female socket of the harness.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 02:48:26 pm »

Johnnie,

I made a new 2 Prong Plug out of a basic 18-2 cord.  I crimped on new ring terminals and put them back on the terminal box.  I have wire "ends" that go to the fan motor.  And I have wire "ends" going to the thermostat.  I plugged the new 2 prong cord into a extension cord and into the wall and I hear the compressor kick on.  Of course the fan, motor and the thermostat are not wired yet.  ( At this point the new harness is out of the equation) So, I need to tie the new harness in to get power to the thermostat, fan motor, and terminal box which should be 6 total wires, in sets of 2. 

How do I tie in my harness to to go to my thermostat, compressor fan, and the terminal box.  I bought "spade" terminals to hopefully cut the ends off the new hardness and crimp on the terminals, than crimp on the opposite terminals to the existing thermostat, and fan wires?  That way I can connect back up to the existing wire with the new harness.  

I think the most difficult thing is trying to figure out what wire is what on the new harness  Oo

Jared
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 02:50:34 pm by Slapshot42 » Logged
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 04:16:10 pm »

are you using the new style, pictured above? if so, the "block" of that harness, has the thermostat lead,
one hot lead, and the plug recepticle for the compressor lead.

the thermostat lead wires are the pink leads. plug those into the thermostat. The compressors wiring needs
to have a "male plug" wired into it, like the top picture above. The condenser fan motor lead, wired into the "male plug" as well, at the compressor
overload and relay. Read it again....wire the condenser fan motor lead (2) to the compressor overload and relay. When
it's done right, you can plug it into an extension cord and the compressor, as well as the fan motor, will come on together.

Now, plug the "male lead" into the "female lead" of the black "block" of the wiring harness. Plug the cord in, flip the thermostat on,
you're in business.

If you have an interior/evaporator fan motor, these run 24/7. On the back side of the "black block" there is a little trap door.
Open the door, and inside, you'll find two studs. Wire the evaporator fan motor, using 16-18 gauge rings, to those studs, and
your fan will run.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 04:17:52 pm by globalcompressors » Logged

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 05:48:49 pm »

The thermostat wires have female spade connectors on them but they won't clip on to your thermostat in the slider. You will need to remove the t/s and remove the back cover to replace the wires using ring terminals instead.

Glen
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 05:57:08 pm »

Glen, all he has to do, is snip the female ends and replace/crimp new ring connections
for the screw treminals in the stat.

The harness will work just fine.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 06:00:58 pm by globalcompressors » Logged

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 09:41:39 pm »

Are you using the new style, pictured above?

[/quote]

Yes

The thermostat wires have female spade connectors on them but they won't clip on to your thermostat in the slider. You will need to remove the t/s and remove the back cover to replace the wires using ring terminals instead.

[/quote]

I had a lot of wire from the existing thermostat. I kept about 4 inches off connected crimped new spade terminals on the the old wires that were still good.  I will cut the pink leads off and put another set of terminals on that side (male to female) and connect them back together.

If you have an interior/evaporator fan motor, these run 24/7.

[/quote]

I do not have a fan up top.

[/quote]

Would I just cut these back, strip the wire back and wire tie them together since they aren't being used.  ( Bottom Left Wire)

I have taken a picture.

From Top Left to Right.

Top Left:

Power Supply

Top Right:

The Condensor Fan Motor Lead

Bottom Left:

Interior Fan Motor Lead ( If fan is up top in box)

Bottom Right

Thermostat

* I tied the male plug pigtail into the terminal box.  Do I just connect the 2  hot wire lead with ring terminals and over lap the two sets of leads together? So essentially there are two lead overlapping at the top of the terminal box, and two lead at the bottom of the terminal box ( overlapping each other)

Anybody still with me?  

Thanks, I know I'm a little slow; "The town is back that way"

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 09:43:37 pm by Slapshot42 » Logged
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 08:25:37 am »

The thermostat wires come out of the side of the j/box (upper right). Both wires comming out of the bottom are constant power so you won't use them on a slider.

Glen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: