SMC Discussion Areas
May 19, 2024, 05:25:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lid Insulation  (Read 2938 times)
sliderchris

« on: March 08, 2010, 10:40:04 pm »

Hi there,

I'm new to this site so please forgive me if I ask a question that has been answered earlier.
I have an Ideal 55 slider(7-up embossed) that I will be making a new lid for (as part of a restoration project) and need
to know what type of insulation is inside the original lid (Mine has been removed.)
It seems to me that it needs to weigh a cetain amount in order
to keep the lid firmly in contact with the main body seal.I have 2 other sliders that are original but obviously
don't want to destroy the lids to see what is inside.
Any help will be appreciated.

SliderChris.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 12:43:35 pm »

Chris,
THe orginal insurlation that was in them was a very dense Fiberglass or fiber board type of material... I think some guys have used styrofoam at the right thickness as well.. as far as weight, the wieght of the door should be enought to keep it closed tight enough against the new gasket that I'm assuming your putting on?

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 01:34:45 pm »

on some very early lids, it was actually plywood ( like the pre-WWII Westinghouse chest coolers) later production used a sheet of dense fiberboard/hemp material. Styrofoam will work just fine, as mentioned before, the lids own weight will keep it closed, BUT it may be more prone to denting as the Styrofoam doesn't have the density obviously, if you do use plywood, make sure it isn't Oak or any other acidic type wood that could start corrosion ( damp Oak will produce tannic acid, which will attack galvanized metal ) just a thought...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 01:40:31 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
sliderchris

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 09:31:53 pm »

Thank you for your input gentlemen.

I'll probably use a piece of styrofoam. Denting the lid should not be an issue as the machine will be
in my office (in my shop) and should be out of harms way. I've instructed my kids etc. that no one
is to place anything on the lid-ever!
Thanks again,
Chris.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: