SMC Discussion Areas
May 09, 2024, 03:44:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what is belt line rust  (Read 7549 times)
Ezra
Soda Jerks

« on: November 03, 2014, 07:12:59 pm »

tried to do a search on it but got discussions of it but no definition or pic. thank you
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 07:55:19 pm »

It's when moisture gets in between the machine and the main liner!  Many cases it will cause a lot of rust damage that requires more work to repair
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 07:57:15 pm by Slapshot42 » Logged
Ezra
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 07:57:30 pm »

Please post photos!
It's when moisture gets in between the machine and the main liner!  Many cases it will cause a lot of rust damage that requires more work to repair
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 08:04:52 pm »

You will probably find a picture if you search for 'Vendo 56 beltline rust'.

Glen
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 08:07:37 pm »

Please post photos!

I have had several machine with rust problems.  I just recently tore down a Barqs 55 Embossed.  Lucky I did I saved it from any further rust.  I could see the metal starting to thin in on area all the way around.

It survived sandblasting, will have to treat the rust area appropriately before painting...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 08:14:15 pm by Slapshot42 » Logged
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 12:45:06 am »

Belt line rust happens at the area where the tray above the compressor area meets the edges of the main body.  As Jared (Slapshot42) said, moisture gets into the insulation and ends up at the edges of that tray, which are spot welded to the body.  Those spot welds tend to wick the moisture in and you end up with a 'line' of rust at the level of where the tray sits.

The pics are from a V-44 that I owned for a while, you can see the line pretty distinctly.  I didn't take apart the machine any further since I got a great offer on it as-is, but I did provide them with these photos as part of the sale listing.

BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 01:20:54 am »

Condensation inside the machine is supposed to drip down into the bottom of the interior tub and then go out through a drain tube into a collection jar/basin in the compressor area.  Over time the tube gets plugged or the seal where the drain line and the tub are attached will crack and the moisture can then leak into the layer of insulation that is between the interior tub and the metal sheet that forms the top of the compressor space.  The wet insulation just sits there and the moisture leads to rust which will eat out the sides of the main cabinet where that bottom layer of insulation sits.   Here is a pic of the cabinet pieces I had to replace in my machines.  Both pieces are the top of the compressor enclosure from each of my 2 machines along with the replacement pieces I had installed.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Jonathan816
25 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 08:09:18 am »

Here it is pretty bad.  When you take off the liner, the first picture shows you how bad the damage is caused by the condensation/moisture that's not properly draining.    If you look at the 2nd picture, right above where the compressor would be, you'll see the damage that ate from the inside out.  This is called beltline rust as it usually goes around the entire machine.   If you have damage on the back, more likely than not you'll have damage on the sides that need repairing.     Needless to say, this machine wasn't salvageable.

VMC 81 - Pepsi
VMC 110 - Pepsi
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 09:51:03 am »

This is a great thread for new members... great images also... way to go guys.

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 12:15:47 pm »

When you say, this machine wasn't salvageable?? any good body guy can cut out and reweld new metal in that area... I have it done all the time as 90% of all machines I restore have some degree of rust in this area... and I replace the bottom pans in all of the machines I do.. so don't let it scare you off too much ,anything can be fixed with proper knowledge.

Here it is pretty bad.  When you take off the liner, the first picture shows you how bad the damage is caused by the condensation/moisture that's not properly draining.    If you look at the 2nd picture, right above where the compressor would be, you'll see the damage that ate from the inside out.  This is called beltline rust as it usually goes around the entire machine.   If you have damage on the back, more likely than not you'll have damage on the sides that need repairing.     Needless to say, this machine wasn't salvageable.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: