SMC Discussion Areas
May 04, 2024, 04:59:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anyone identify this coin mechanism?  (Read 4387 times)
bergy
5 Cent Member

« on: September 22, 2011, 11:38:07 am »

I just purchased my first machine a Vendo 44 and I plan on restoring it. Looks like this site has tons of good info. Here are a couple pictures and I am hoping someone can provide info on the coin mechanism. It has a sticker on it that say Vendall Machine LTD Ottawa Canada and it is hinged. Apparently this company was around in the 50s. When I put dimes in they go straight out the coin return. Thanks for any help.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 12:21:05 pm »

First off - Welcome and nice first machine! A classic that is sure to increase in value.

Keep in mind that (with everything functioning as it should) all coins should be rejected if there is no product in the machine to vend. Try inserting coins while holding the Sold Out flapper in or make sure it has bottles in it to vend.

It is a Canadian mech and is commonly found in the 44's.
The slug rejector is not original to the mechanism; however, that is not to say the one you have does not work.
The key issue is where the coins (if accepted) exit the rejector and whether they will fall into the coin slots on the shaft. Does the slug rejector work when removed from the machine? If not, try cleaning it.

Search 'Vendo 81' on eBay and you'll find a picture of this type mech (with the original rejector).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 12:25:01 pm by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
bergy
5 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 04:37:43 pm »

Thanks for the welcome.

I should have mentioned I was holding the sold out arm while putting the dime in but no luck.

So I am brand new to vending machines and hope this does not sound dumb but the grey plastic device on my Vendo is the slug rejector correct?
To my eye when I open it up and look at the slug rejector it must be missing a couple pieces to successfully guide the dime into the proper slot.
If I put a dime in the slot the machine works correctly.

Here is a pic of the inside of the rejector (I think its the rejector) laugh

I could possibly create a channel to guide the dime successfully to its proper destination or how much is it to buy a new or used slug rejector.

Thanks again for the help.

collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 06:04:53 pm »

The correct slug rejector for that mechanism might be hard to find solo, but is frequently found in Vendo 39's and 44's. The mech was designed so the coin reject arm slipped under the coin exit on the rejector and blocked access to the coin slots on the shaft. The rejector was designed with wider coin exit's allowing the coin room to roll off and to the coin return cup. The small door rejectors commonly used most all of the 50's soda machines will work, BUT you will lose that coin reject function.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
bergy
5 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 03:10:54 pm »

I figured this thing out. I was trying to get the slug rejector working with dimes which is what it says on the machine. Then I thought I should try nickels still no luck. When I placed by hand a dime or nickel in the crank mechanism and looked with a flashlight they appeared to small to activate the lock to allow vending. Then I thought drop a quarter in and the machine works perfectly  biggrin. I guess at some point it has been updated to charge quarters via the slug rejector. Anyway I am happy now because it is working properly via quarters. Now to get busy ordering parts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: