SMC Discussion Areas
May 22, 2024, 04:23:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a coin grinder?  (Read 11875 times)
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 09:21:55 pm »

I was hoping I could find something for $500 or under

Of course you can, but don't expect it without problems $$$$. Maybe pay a little more to
bail out a guy who got in too deep fixing up his machine and is now selling it at a loss?
    Like soda machines, once you have a good working model the next ones you buy can be
copied to work similar.

Glen
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 09:28:41 pm »

The post 50's jukes go cheep. Basically if you cant see the records playing they are not very valuable. You can get a 60's or 70's machine working in good condition for under $500 no problem. I personally think everything made after 1950 is ugly. They just didn't have the same style that they had in the 50's. As you all know I am one of the younger members here and I grew up restoring all of these with my father. We have had a few Seeburg G's and one awesome Seeburg C that was always my favorite. We built some AMI's and others for sale and always did OK but in my opinion nothing is better than a seeburg. If you like that style of juke you can usually find Seeburg B's at a better price. They are basically the same as a G, C or W but just a little less flashy but I think they look really good if done right. Good luck.
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 07:47:58 am »

I tend to agree with Josh on this one. Anything 1960 on doesn't have a "real" jukebox feel to me. Partly because they started to hide the turntable mechanism and the because the styling went bad IMHO.

I have a Seeburg B that I resurected from the dead and I love it. It was actually the very first machine out there to play 100 songs on the 45 rpm record. Scared the crap out of the competition!. The Seeburg A was originally a 78 rpm machine and has gear sets available to make it a 45 rpm machine.

Also, when you get into the post-50's machines you get into solid state electronics  and circuit boards, not as easy to fix compared to the 50's machines. If you like late 60's - 70's rock, a later model R or even a VL would be nice and they tend to hold their value a lot better.

Brian
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 01:09:07 pm »

I hate to say it but jukeboxes from the 1960-80s are some of the ugliest I have ever seen.  The Silver age are the ones from the 50s that you can see the record get selected and played.  I live in the Buffalo area and I can give you one that you can get up to snuff.  You live just over the border in Canada.  I have a couple of AMI 120s from 1954 I think.  They are just sitting in my warehouse.  I would rather you play your Led Zapplin  on one of those rather then on an ugly 70s style jukebox.  Here is a pcture of my Seeburg 100c in my malt shop.

Brian

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 01:28:00 pm »

I have been offerred a number of jukeboxes when looking at soda machines but luckily the bug has not bitten me yet.  I saw a juke like the one pictured at a mid-Michigan antiques mall recently.  Can't remember what the price was but the sign said that it worked.  If interested I can get more info next time I am in that area.

drinking Tim drinking
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 01:46:24 pm »

That's a Seeburg Trashcan... 78 player... Personally I really like them but Mrs B says no...

I would love a 78rpm player... Most of the music I now like is only available on 78's... or
a fortune on 45rpm...

One day maybe..
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 02:41:05 pm »

I have the Traschcan on my wishlist,  but  the lack of a visible mech  is kinda a downer. 
hmm, I can order the gears and change  my wurly 1400 back to 78's...

Chris, the AMI 120's are weird cool. Fuirsty look and you think  , hey, it's an aquirium, but the sound on AMI is supposed to be fantasitc, and 120 selections,

Tim: not bitten by the juke box bug yet?  hehehehehhe, wait, Cool

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 05:25:50 am »

I had a Seeburg 146 for a year or so, other than the plastics, they are designed quite well and everything is easy to get at. I personally wouldn't pay more than $500 for an original in "ok" condition.

Brian
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 08:30:14 pm »

That trashcan model looks like R2D2! Happy with my wurlitzer 2600..  a few tubes and a needle and it was good to go (re-capping it soon also). This still has a visible mech so very cool.

As for 45rpm costing a fortune - I found a seller on ebay that has thousands of titles between $3 and $6 USD (a couple of rarer finds for $10+). That's gotta be like between 2 and 4 pounds sterling right ?

Chris
David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 09:40:07 pm »

I found a good site for 45's awhile back, they are usually $2.50 each and are new or NOS, I believe they re-pop many of the 45's, the site is http://www.oldies.com/format-view/vinyl.html
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 09:42:02 pm by David D » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: