SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 08:48:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Minit Pop U Pop It PopcornShop  (Read 27166 times)
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2013, 06:05:29 am »

Yeah, what they said!  laugh

Brian
PopcornShop
10 Cent Member

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2013, 01:49:29 am »

Hey everyone.. Just to clear a few things up on who made what type of machines and also the pro and cons of hotplate and oil vat..

"PopcornShop" made both types.. But proffected the hotplate.
 "Minit Pop" made both types as well..
 "U Pop It"  made both and also worked with the PopcornShop..

Let it be known that machines early on were more common to see in an oil vat type cooking system.. As the machines went on the hotplat slowly came into the picture and by the end of the run most if not all were hotplat type.. I have read countless patents on why the hotplat was used over oil vat.. All favor the hoplat for several reasons... Here are a few main ones I have read.. The big reason for the change was because of the oil that was held in the bottom of an oil vat or where the cooking basket sat was held at a temp of 400 degress...over any period of time no matter what type of oil you used it would begin to break down because of the extreme heat it was under for such long periods of time.. The hotplat on the other hand did not have this problem.. It could sit idle for hours with no problem.. And the reason was because it would sit at idle at a temp about 320 degrees..Then when in operation it would kick up to about 400 degrees.. Each time it was used it also got a fresh amount of oil.. While the oil vat never got a"complete" amount of fresh oil..It was only added when the float got low enough to allow some in the oil vat.. So as you can see your oil vat never would get a complete amount of fresh oil... Its like changing your oil in your car but not changing the filter...So your end result would be contaminated oil.. Not a good combination if you are trying to keep things fresh..Thus is why they phased out the oil vat type systems.. If any of you have any questions please feel free to comment.. Brian...

BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2013, 11:39:04 am »

All true facts. But you know as well as I do that the Hot Plate itself is a ticking time-bomb!!

Brian
PopcornShop
10 Cent Member

« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2013, 01:51:01 pm »

Ha ha How very true Brian.. I wish I could say they would last forever..but they don't.. We need to find a better replacement for a Hotplate.. Like a heating element that can be changed with in the casted hotplate..  This Easter my machine was very busy popin corn.. But was it good... I have my machine dialed in real good right now..It pops some very good popcorn right now..  smile
MCarter
Soda Jerks

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2013, 04:36:02 pm »

There was a minit pop that just ended on ebay yesterday.....Did anyone here get it? It was in Michigan.

Matt

RC VMC - 81 Orignal
Vendo V-56 Two Tone Round Top ~~ Currently in use
Seeburg 100 G Jukebox ~~ Restored
Minit Pop Popcorn Machine ~~ Restored
Cavalier 55-D ~~ Restored
Rockola 1426 ~~ Orignal--- For Sale
Chicago Coin Band Box ~~~ Restored
Jeffmon
25 Cent Member

« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2013, 08:34:09 pm »

I did, I'm still not sure if it was a good buy or not, picking it up on Friday, the guy assured me that it was working when he bought it 30 years ago and stored it till now, but after expanding the very few pics I got from him 10 000% I'm thinking he might be full of $H#T, looks to be missing a few parts, but it's so dirty it may just be the pics, keeping my fingers crossed... Parts on those suckers can get expensive !
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2013, 10:34:22 am »

Hopefully it turns out good for you, Jeff. Post some pictures when you after you get the machine. There are a few guys here at SMC that are pretty knowledgable when it comes to Minit-Pop & U-Pop-It machines.

Brian
Jeffmon
25 Cent Member

« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2013, 12:12:18 pm »

Thanks Brian, I will definitely do so, I'm picking it up Friday so after a good cleaning ill post some picture !
Jeffmon
25 Cent Member

« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2013, 01:56:00 pm »

Well I picked up the minit pop, maybe my wife is on to something, I need to stop being such a jaded cynic, not only was the machine complete and still in working condition, the guy I bought it from was probably the coolest, most eccentric and intriguing characters I've ever met! So after cleaning the two inches of grease and dirt from it I will post some pictures in a new thread ! At the of the day, I think I did ok on it, can't wait to get some input from you guys !

Jeff !
PopcornShop
10 Cent Member

« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2013, 09:36:42 pm »

I seen that machine on ebay... I think that was a good deal... If its the same one I seen it would make a good machine to restore..lol.. If the machine has been sitting that long there is a lot of things you want to do before running it... Make sure you run it through a few cycles before filling it with popcorn and oil.. And when doing that make sure you disconnect the heaters in the oil tank and in the popcorn cooking basket so they wont burn out while dry running it... Clean the blower fan and oil it.. Do the same to the drive motor and oil that also... Plus clean the gears and shafts and oil them.. Plus do a good visual on the wire through the machine..If you don't do things like that you might run the risk of burning out a motor or other things like that... Good luck  smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: