SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 09:36:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for good restore/repair shop in Florida for vendo 81d  (Read 10659 times)
LanderV81
« on: September 19, 2007, 11:27:27 am »

Purchased a Vendo 81d from a private owner and had it shipped for IA to FL.  During the shipping it had a few problems.  This is an original, I am told, unrestored unit.  We really would like to keep it that way.  Here is a list of problems it has:

• Door is unaligned.  Doesn't have a solid seal now and have to pull up on the door to latch
  • handle wont work.  Coins are received and returned no problem but cant push down on handle to release bottles.  Notice dent just behind handle, don't know if this is causing the problem.
  • broken light cover.
  • Broken glass on inside door
  • top 4 or 5 trays don't fit properly.  Bottom 3 fit fine
  • Dented left side door trim
  • Bent kick plate, and missing screw

Other than that the unit is solid and runs very cold.  Can someone recommend a local place for repairs, I live in Bradenton, FL  34202.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 12:20:59 pm »

Hi and Welcome. I don't have an answer for you regarding a restorer in your area, but a few of these things are fairly easy fixes. The Broken glass can be redone without too much effort and the door liner on your machine looks to be cracked, and probably should be replaced, As far as the shelves, there are slots on both ends for them to rest in... check that out and see if that helps your problems. These machines are not perfect so you have to give them a little TLC.
As far as the vend handle, would have to see some more photos of the inside to diagnose that and the door sag,,, is a problem I don't know how to fix and dont' know if it can without doing some body work?
Another member will chime in shortley and be able to help as well.
Good luck... and welcome

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 12:40:59 pm »

Like John said post some pics and we can help you solve your issues if you are somewhat handy. In addition to what he posted, the door will actually lift right off the bottom hinge if you use a wiggle/lift motion. You may then be able to see what is out of alignment.

If it is a change-giving coin mech - it is rather difficult to work on; however, I can fix the coin mech for you and it is rather simple to remove and mail. If it is not a change-giving mech, then I might be able to walk you through it's repair.

I did some mech repair for a guy in Jupiter, FL that restores machines and he might be willing to work on yours. I can call him and see.
How far are you from Jupiter, FL?

We also have a couple of members in FL including our very own site founder!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
LanderV81
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 01:04:38 pm »

Thanks for the quick responses.  What I am trying to figure out right now is how much repair costs are going to be for insurance claim. 

Jupiter Fl is about 3 1/2 hours from my place but the only problem is getting it there.

Coin mech is a change-giving.  Do you think that’s what is wrong with the crank not moving all the way down?  I can see the coins go in but they stay at the top, are they supposed to filter down so that the handle can move?

The shelves I am guessing don’t fit nicely due to the fact that the machine fell during shipping (housing not straight I guess) the bottom 3 shelves fit nicely.

Not sure if the door is loose more than the unit is bent towards the top

I will have to take a photo of the front for you and post later.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 01:51:47 pm »

Looks like a nice clean original - so sorry the shipping company didn't take better care of it. Not too far of a drive if you or somebody you know has a truck, SUV, etc. You can lay them down, but just don't plug them in immediately after standing the machine back up. Rule of thumb is to let it stand upright at least as long as it was horizontal - I always wait a 24 hours after transport.

As far as the coin mech:
You say the coins stay at the top and I'm not sure where you talking about. If they are not making their way all the way into the coin block (indicated by the turquoise area in the pic and is behind the cover plate), try adjusting the rejector. Insert two nickels, a dime and a quarter and loosening the two screws (indicated by the yellow lines in the attached picture). With the screws loose, you can move the rejector base in/out until the bottom of the rejector is lined up with the coin block in the mech and the coins fall into the block. Re-tighten the screws after the adjustment is made.
If that does not solve your problem, you should isolate the coin mech to verify that it is the culprit.
To do this, remove the pin attaching the linkage to the mech and remove the linkage from the mech shaft. The shaft, linkage and pin are accessible from the rectangular access plate on the back of the main door behind the coin mech.
Once the pin is removed, the mech can be tested solo. If you can crank the shaft freely, then the mech is not your problem and I would look towards the linkage and stack. If you are still not able to crank the shaft, check the ratchet that is visible through the hole indicated by the purple arrow in the attached picture. More than likely the ratched is jammed in the teeth of the shaft. The ratchet should also be attached to the side of the aforementioned access hole with a small spring. If it is jammed, try to manuever it free with a screwdriver while trying to crank the handle.
If neither of these solves your problem, I would say you need to have somebody look at it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 12:35:31 pm by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
LanderV81
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 02:00:01 pm »

Thanks I will try and post back tonight.  Due you have an idea what it would cost if I would take it to Jupiter for repair?  Does this guy keep the originality of the machine?
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 02:47:34 pm »

I don't know for sure whether he would even be interested in repairing it or what he would charge. I have never met him face to face - only repaired some large door mechs for him. If you get to that point where you definately want to have somebody else do the fixing, then I would call or email him personally and ask if he had any interest and would mind if I released his number/email to you. He is a business acquaintance and I do not want to jeapardize that relationship. If he shows interest, then I would get his email address to you and let you two figure out the details.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 02:59:28 pm »

If I am reading this right what you are after in the first place is some sort of quote that you can go to an insurance company with to say this is what its going to cost to put this thing right... and this is what I want...

Once you have that I'm sure with the expertise on this site a lot of the things you have listed could be rectified by yourself...

The bigger jobs like the dents and aligning the door could possibly be beyhond a simple instruction (but not knowing your own skills I could be wrong)

I know that Tom could sort out your coin mech/slug rejector and would recommend him. 

Its very sad to think thatsomething so original can be manhandled in such a way as to cause all this agro...
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 03:14:39 pm »

• Door is unaligned.  Doesn't have a solid seal now and have to pull up on the door to latch
  • handle wont work.  Coins are received and returned no problem but cant push down on handle to release bottles.  Notice dent just behind handle, don't know if this is causing the problem.
This is probably due to a bent shaft... The machine hit something or something hit this area and bent the crank handle shaft. Depending on where the shaft is bent will determine the complexity of the repair. Best case scenario is that it's bent just before or as if enters the actual coin mech.
It very difficult to diagnose without seeing the machine first hand...
I'm a little closer; located in Stuart, FL, but if my memory serves me, there's someone restoring machines in Lakeland that may be of assistance... I attempted to phone Steve at Fun-Tronics to get additional info, but they're at the Mid Atlantic Coin-Op Show... I'll get back to you with contact info when I get in touch with Steve...

My six cents,

Jim

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 03:28:01 pm »

Seems that aluminum handle would have broken long before
that steel shaft would bend.

I don't see any shipping damage at all. Every 81 I have owned
has a sagging door, glass cracked in the lower corners and light
cover. Kickplates and hollow stainless trim always bent, even on
the nicest originals.
       Coin mech.'s, bottle stacks and shelves always need TLC to
work together. 
        Is there physical damage somewhere showing it fell or was
abused or information that you have not told us about?

Glen
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: