SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 01:19:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stoner Cafe #1  (Read 9523 times)
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 11:06:53 am »

Here's an update on my progress.  So far everything ohms out correctly.  All motors, coils, and heaters check out with the meter.  However, I did find one bad coin switch.  I don't know if it is the penny, nickle, dime, or quarter.  It is underneath the coin mech.  There are three visable switches on top and one hidden on the bottom.  Luckily my son found an internet site that had obsolete switches.  The new/old switch is in and works fine.

I'm very happy with the way it is coming along.  The disassembly and clean up is going well.  Boy there is a lot of micro switches, heaters, motors, and relays.  Especially with this changer model.  All the major components are done (except the boiler).  The boiler checks out fine.  It was still full of crystal clear 1970's water.  The heaters ohm out as do the solenoids but when I was taking it apart I ran into some asbestos and I will wait until spring, when I can go outside, and remove it.  Nothing major, luckily it's just the coragated cardboard variety.

My other option is to buy a small instantaneous heater, but I'm worried about the water in the tube after the solenoid being cold in between cups.  Maybe I can use Stoners flush switch before making the first cup.  Anyway, the Quick and Hot is the cheapest that I found and is the one I like the best.  Costco has it for $130.00.  

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11226343&whse=BC&Ne=5000001%204000000&eCat=BC|103&N=4007885%204294909484&Mo=0&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1

Here are some pictures of the progress.  
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 11:23:10 am by mills 400c » Logged

A lot of stuff.
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 11:18:23 am »

The last two pictures show the optional changer assemblies.  

The third picture is the coin mech.  It has a motor on top that slides a plate internally.  Also, if you look to the left of the three coin switches, you will see a round barrel looking piece.  That piece allows you to switch from 5c, 6c, 7c, 8c, 9c, or 10c.  I chose 9c just because it will bring up the most conversation, or complaints.

The fourth picture shows the changer.  There is a motor that slides a metal plate to give you change.  But the weird thing is, when it slides the plate over the coin tubes, all the coin tubes will drop a coin.  I imagine that you just fill the tubes in which you need.  If it is seven cents you would fill three penny tubes so you will get back three cents on a ten cent purchase.  Two penny tubes for eight cents.  Five penny tubes or one nickle tube for five cents on a ten cent purchase.  It also is suppose to change a quarter.  I can't make heads or tales out of that.  I'll just have to put it together and see what happens.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 11:26:40 am by mills 400c » Logged

A lot of stuff.
Seven181
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 11:35:19 pm »

Looking good! You are going to have a great looking machine when you are done!

Brian  happydrinkers
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 12:08:24 am »

That really looks great!! How many cleaning and polishing hours so far?
Creighton
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 11:38:53 am »

Lots of hours.  I knocked it out in a few weekends.  So far three gallons of straight Simple Green.  A bottle of vinegar for some lime issues.  Numerous Scotch Brites, two boxes of disposable gloves, and a nice cloth for the stainless.   The only thing I polished was the name plate.  Looks brand new. 

The stainless cleans up nice if it is allowed to soak in a vat of Simple Green and hot water for hours.  After all the parts that will actually touch any product, cup, or water were cleaned in the Simple Green, they were thrown in the dishwasher for sterilazation.  The only problem is that the augers are aluminum and I forgot to take the dishwasher off of the heated dry on the first batch, and now the nice shiny augers are black.  Too much of a pain to reclean those.  The augers do not look like they can be removed from the canister and the metal tines, that break up the material, get in the way of your hands.

A lot of stuff.
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 10:12:24 am »

Larry,
The Cafe is looking great. Keep us posted on the progress.

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: