SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 06:33:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a coin grinder?  (Read 11852 times)
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« on: March 14, 2009, 01:58:40 am »

I was browsing ebay looking for jukeboxes (always wanted one) and it came up with results for a "coin grinder". Can someone please tell me what on earth this thing is?

Chris
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 06:33:38 am »

If my memory serves me, the coin grinder will store credits by ratcheting a gear via electric solenoid. Each coin deposited will ratchet the gear the appropriate times and every time a record is selected, this unit removes a credit.

My six cents,

Jim

Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 08:40:12 am »

Jim explained it better than I could, think of it as a credit switch on a pinball machine or coke machine.
These were often pulled when a juke was taken out of service, so finding  replacements or having a unit available to sell can usually mean some serious coin depending on the model.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 07:30:28 pm »

Thanks guys. Right now I'm looking for a complete machine - parts may come after that. I was just curious what a coin grinder was - didn't know jukes worked like that (I assumed it was all electronic with some kinda circuit keeping track of credits).

I found a wurlitzer wallbox nearby (like 45mins).. REALLY hoping I can get this.. I'd hook it up to my PC until I found a compatible jukebox to go with it.

So far no hits for a jukebox I like, just way overpriced units too far away.. I'm talking like $800 to $3000 and 3 hour drive each way!

What should I pay for your average juke in working condition ? Just run of the mill machine, not your ultimate collectable models.

Chris
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 02:42:35 am »

I'm no good on current prices but wat I do know is that the price range is as wide as the Ocean....

You need to decide what sort of box you want... What are you going to play on it 78's,45's CD's and now there are ones for downloaded music too...

What look are you trying to achieve... what era.... Then what Make do you want.... The big four all have their own virtues... How handy are you?? Could you restore your own???

Prices have dropped dramtically over the last few years... Parts are now more plentiful than ever... And much cheaper...

I've had a good box from all of the big four... I've also had a few wallboxes hooked up to the PC...If you are limtted for space then this is a very good way to achieve the look and relativwely cheap too.. You don't have to worry about sourcing records for your juke its all downloaded.

My favourite is my Wurlitzer 1900. It has Early rock & roll and Rude R & B... I have a Rockola Empress for my living room with mainstream 50's & 60's... and I did have a seeburg 3W1 in the bathroom for guests using the toilet....

If you are only buying one.. Buy well.....

Dave
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 05:38:37 pm »

I'd like a wurlitzer, but not picky, I will take rockola or anything I can get.

As for what I want to play, I'd say 45s..  I don't want a digitial mp3 jukebox (I have a PC for that!). Are the 78s singles too ?  I presume all jukeboxes only take singles, because there is no way to know which groove to place the needle in for the requested track ? (the machine doesn't know, obviously a human can lol)
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 05:41:48 pm »

Also, what do you guys think of this:

http://guelph.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-art-collectibles-VINTAGE-WURLITZER-JUKEBOX-200-PLAY-WALLBOX-W0QQAdIdZ113008585

"FOR SALE VINTAGE WURLITZER JUKEBOX 200 PLAY WALLBOX COME WITH ALL THE OLD SONG CARDS GREAT FOR REC. ROOM OR MUSIC ROOM COULD BE RETURNED TO WORKING ORDER WITH LITTLE MAINTENCE WKS. WITH ANY MODEL 5220 SERIES WURLITZER JUKEBOX"

It turns out the seller was advertising in multiple cities, but would be willing to meet me half way to make it still about a 1hr drive instead of 2. He has 4 of these boxes and would give me the lot for $300.. or individually for $100 each..

Should I take it ? Only really want 1..

Chris
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 06:39:20 pm »

Rockola introduced a jukebox i nthe early 1950's that could play both sides of a 68, Wurlitzer soon followed.  Bad timing, Seeburg brought out the M100C  that could take 45's, and hold 50  records for a total of 100 songs. This basically killed the 78 record format.  My seeburg 100G for example has two needles on the cartridge, depending on what side is selected to be played, the motor will spin the record clockwise or counterclockwise, and will move the needle arm to whatever side. Mu wirlitzer 1400 has the record sit on a platter,. the platter is moved to the playing area. It can also play the flip side by playing the record form underneath. As soon as i get arounf to restoring it, i'll post pics

A 45 Jukebox will play both sides of a juke box, and repopped 45's are available  with two singles, more banmg for your buck. Price wise, a late 60-70's jukebox is more bang for less buck, and much like the squaretops a few years ago, still  readily cheap and available because people prefer the chrome and glitz of the 40's and 50's models. 

Depending on your taste in music, I'd suggest going with a 45 box, as an example, you can get a new copy of Bill Halley's Rock around the clock, with the flip slide of See Ya Later, Alligator from Oldies.com for 2.50 (USD) . An original 78 of the same song  , maybe 20-100 bucks.  Rhino records  came out with a set of 78's of classic early Rock and Roll  a few years ago, nonow  out of pront, and selling on Ebay   for $250+

The wallbox looks clean, and you already know  it is a remote unit, it won't play the records. I haven't been following Wurly  wall box prices, I think you can do a little better price wise on Ebay,  but shipping may offset any savings you see.

There e are kits available online to hook up the wallbox your computer to play MP3 I  haven't tried it myself , but i understand  it is high on the cool factor. I've also come across  tech discussion boards that explain how to  do it yourself, after a run to your local electorinics store

K, 'll stop now

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 07:21:54 pm »

Dido alot of comments here, but like Dave Said,, what era are you going for?
Myself, I love the 50's era, lots of chrome, and glass... so when I was looking for a juke, a Seeburg G was the perfect one, plays 45's (readily available) so you can change it up . plays both sides, so you get 100 songs out if it.. Great looking ,lots of curves and all chrome and glass and a little wood... Just classic for my taste... And lately these Seeburgs have been affordable... 1500-2500 for a nice clean orginal... and a few bucks more for partially or fully restored...Same thing goes for other models of Seeburgs of that era, R, W, M100c, should be able to find a complete restorable one for around 900 if you handy and want to restore it.
Good luck!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 08:48:21 pm »

Probably late 60's to early 70s era.. Bill Haley and the comets is a little early for my tastes, I'm more Led Zepplin, ACDC, Deep Purple, CCR, Boston, etc..

I was hoping I could find something for $500 or under, but if I have to go past $1000 I would consider it. I'm definately not looking for restored - it will be either "original working condition" or "needs some work". I am handy with a soldering iron but I know absolutely nothing about jukes and how they work.

I've always been infatuated with them, probably because I'm a child of the 80s and vinyly was on it's way out by the time I was 8 years old..
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 08:52:10 pm by Skeleton Man » Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: