SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 02:03:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Carousel Gumball Machines  (Read 2719 times)
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« on: February 22, 2015, 08:57:58 pm »

Never been a fan of these things. Do a gumball search on Craigslist and you get a hit of "antique gumball machine" or "vintage gumball machine" only to be disappointed to see its one of these. Or hunting through a flea market and catching a glass globe and red top out of the corner of your eye only to find out its a carousel.

Sorry to vent but I reached my threshold when I was in an antique shop and came across this carousel with the following description and price today "early 1900s ornate Gumball machine on a pedestal with 4 embossed feet possibly from an amusement park $395".

Are any of these machines collectible or command a price like this? Most I have seen them sell for is about $100 on eBay and it was for a 1985 model.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 09:04:45 pm by HowDueYouDue » Logged

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 02:50:38 am »

That looks like a Victor.. although the picture is very poor. If it is a Victor at least its vintage unlike the majority of stuff out there. not worth anywhere near the asking price.

I have a small collection of Northwesterns that are quite collectable and can sell for that sort of money. Columbus machines from the same 1930's/1940's era are also collectable and can command top Dollar.

Lots of 1980's crud made to look old..

Dave 
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 06:26:03 am »

Sorry for the picture quality but wasn't about to put hands on it to get a better pic. Definetly not a victor just a carousel. Sad

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 08:01:59 am »

Ha... I search and see the same thing all the time...They are all over the place.. OAKS, Northwesterns can still be found on a pedestal for cheap.
Like anything else people better be educated on what they collect... can you imagine buying that at that price then see one
at another antique store for $45! wow

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 08:31:29 am »

The carousels are worth 25-30, same price you could buy them at the walmart

Either the sellers are that naive or running a scam

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Pages: [1]   Go Up