SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 01:09:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cav. 96Cvend light comes on without placing money in the machine.  (Read 4310 times)
retrobob

« on: March 21, 2010, 08:08:17 pm »

The large red circular vend light arbitrarily comes on and remains on without placing money in the machine.   Is this a common problem?  What causes this?  How can I fix it?   Thanks for the help!
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 08:27:07 pm »

The "Have a Coke" light is controlled by the carrier switch, which is normally OFF when the vending solenoid is idle ( it hasn't been set/latched yet by the coinmech ) so either the carrier switch isn't working right, or there is a problem the linkage that toggles the carrier switch. all of which are at the bottom of the stack..

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
retrobob

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 09:41:15 pm »

The "Have a Coke" light is controlled by the carrier switch, which is normally OFF when the vending solenoid is idle ( it hasn't been set/latched yet by the coinmech ) so either the carrier switch isn't working right, or there is a problem the linkage that toggles the carrier switch. all of which are at the bottom of the stack..

John,

Thanks for your info.  However, (if you will please excuse me here), I am a complete novice at this sort of thing.  I can do most of the cosmetic stuff but am pretty dense when it comes to electrical things.  Is there an actual "switch" that has to be activated?  When you speak of the " bottom of the stack", what specifically are you talking about?  I can get the light to go off by pulling a bottle out of the machine without putting any change in it.  However, it seems that if I bump the machine, the light comes back on.  It does not do this all the time.  I suspect a connection problem someplace.  Any more information will be appreciated.  If you will pm me you phone number, I will give you a call at your convenience.  Once again, thanks for your help. 
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 11:53:24 am »

The "Stack" means the bottle stack. This is where you pull the bottles out. down there is a solenoid and a micro switch. When the solenoid is engaged it allows a bottle to be puled out and at that time it also hits the switch to let the user know that it is ready to have a bottle pulled out. that is the switch that is having the problem. It may be bad or may need adjusted or cleaned.
retrobob

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 09:42:21 pm »

The "Stack" means the bottle stack. This is where you pull the bottles out. down there is a solenoid and a micro switch. When the solenoid is engaged it allows a bottle to be puled out and at that time it also hits the switch to let the user know that it is ready to have a bottle pulled out. that is the switch that is having the problem. It may be bad or may need adjusted or cleaned.

I will take another look.  Actually, I did see the solenoid.  I believe there are two wires connected to it?  How does one go about cleaning and adjusting.  Thanks for the help?
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 08:17:41 am »

I am pretty sure the switch is the same for all cavalier slant shelf machines. SOmeone here may have an extra for you. if I had a spare stack I would give you one but I don't at this moment. At the rate I have been acquiring machines it won't be long though. Someone here will be able to help. JohnieG is the electrical guru so he may know where to get a replacement and what to ask for. I would guess Granger would have them.
retrobob

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 08:22:33 am »

I am pretty sure the switch is the same for all cavalier slant shelf machines. SOmeone here may have an extra for you. if I had a spare stack I would give you one but I don't at this moment. At the rate I have been acquiring machines it won't be long though. Someone here will be able to help. JohnieG is the electrical guru so he may know where to get a replacement and what to ask for. I would guess Granger would have them.
Thanks again for your help.  I will see if I can remedy the problem.
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 08:47:54 am »

I'm not sure if most Cavalier machines are the same, I would assume they are close.  Most of my experience is with square-tops, but here's the switch they use:

http://www.sodajerkworks.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=165&cat=11&page=1

As for troubleshooting, check to make sure the spring holding the piece that engages the vend switch is still there.  When the solenoid pulls back after the vending circuit is disengaged, the spring pulls back the flap that turns the switch on, but it is also the part that prevents the stack from vending another drink.  If the spring is broken, which is somewhat common, it may cause the conditions you describe.  There are some photos of a Cavalier USS machine here, maybe it can help you out:

http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,10490.20.html

retrobob

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 10:42:02 am »

I'm not sure if most Cavalier machines are the same, I would assume they are close.  Most of my experience is with square-tops, but here's the switch they use:

http://www.sodajerkworks.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=165&cat=11&page=1

As for troubleshooting, check to make sure the spring holding the piece that engages the vend switch is still there.  When the solenoid pulls back after the vending circuit is disengaged, the spring pulls back the flap that turns the switch on, but it is also the part that prevents the stack from vending another drink.  If the spring is broken, which is somewhat common, it may cause the conditions you describe.  There are some photos of a Cavalier USS machine here, maybe it can help you out:

http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,10490.20.html

Great help, once again.  Now I have some idea what to look for.  Thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: