SMC Discussion Areas
May 04, 2024, 12:43:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AMI Model F Juke  (Read 15798 times)
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« on: May 11, 2009, 02:33:53 pm »

Hey guys...what's the prevailing opinion of the 1954 AMI Model F-120 jukebox?  Is this a decent unit to get?  I found one that was working, but has sat for a long time.  Asking price is $250 OBO.  I appreciate any advice you guys may have.

Greg

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 02:55:45 pm »

The first question is, do you like it?

For resale value, AMI's are not as popular  as a wurlitzer or seeburg of the same time (ie 1954)

Never worked on an AMI, but i've heard they are very  easy to work on, and can the volume control goes  up to 11 <g>

Parts can be difficult to locate,  ansd not a lot repopped, again due to the low collector interest in them.

That said, it's a good price.  I'm indifferent on the look,  it's called lovingly or crudely a 'fish Tank'. 

If you do decide to go for it, plan on recapping the amp and reeiver.

Ph,, make sure it  didn't work it's way  up from Mexico or South America.. If it's been painted lime grren and red, run

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 05:35:39 am »

I would echo what Kilroy said. AMI's don't have the same collector appeal as the Seeburg's or Wurlitzer's.

I however like how they look and have been looking around for a decently priced, close-by "E" or "F". I would say that if it's complete (Amp, Selection Rec., Coin Gear, Turntable Mech, and the cosmetics aren't too bad) $250 obo is a great deal. Do you have any pictures of it?

Yes, definitely watch out for the south-of-the-border machines!

Brian
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 07:41:41 am »

Greg,
how far are you away from Laredo?
I have a lead on a Seeburg C, haven't seen it yet, was told told it's nice.  Dealt with the  guy a few times, straight shooter, for the cost of shipping it to Michigian I can  buy one here to resotre.
If you are  interested i can get you more info and pics.
I have no stake in the sale,  it mqay be a Seeburgio special, in which case i would say pass.

bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 11:18:31 am »

Not a fan.  I own 2 AMIs.  I like my seeburgs much better.  They sound good but they are not very attractive.

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 01:41:22 pm »

Thanks for the advice, guys!  I attached a picture below of the jukebox, it's the only one I have.

Kilroy, I'm about 3 hours from Laredo, but fly down there all the time for training.  If you could get more info and pics, I'd be interested in at least checking it out. 

I know the AMI is likely much more budget/War Department friendly than a Seeburg/Wurlitzer would be.  I'm still just browsing the Juke option at the moment...don't know if I can get one past the Misses.  She did see the one Jeff Wolf posted sitting at the base of his stairs and liked it (she also likes the 30s/40s wood/colored plastic models).  She'd be all over a 1015 Wurlitzer if it didn't cost so much!  My buddy in Little Rock just picked up a 1938 Wurlitzer that he is working to restore, I'll see it in June when I go out there.

Greg

Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 02:10:55 pm »

Greg, I'll  get the info to you.
The Rockola's and Wurly's of the 30's and 40's are  my favorite,   but they are limited to  playing one side of a 78,  so you have 20 selecions instead of 100 from a 50's box., and   the 78 pretty much was dead by 1960, so don't look tunes recorded after being available.  That said, Rhino records  did come out with a set   of hits  on 78 in the 1990's, out of production, and when it sohws up on Ebay, it goes for a few hunfred $$

davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 02:26:25 pm »

There's a guy this end of the world that repros 78's with modern day hits...

May have his details somewhere... Kept them for the day when I eventually get a 78 player...
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 08:07:54 pm »

I personally like the AMI. Its not as good looking as the seeburgs but it is a good looking box and I have heard that they sound better than anything else. The bottom line is its cheep and if you like it go for it. I know I would buy it for that without thinking about it if it were local to me. Go for it!
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 08:20:56 pm »

Looks a lot like a sand blasting cabinet to me

Glen
Pat Pixley
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 09:56:57 pm »

Looks a lot like a sand blasting cabinet to me
   I've got to agree with Glen on that one  laugh.
Sorry Greg  but it does.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 06:29:23 am »

Greg,
I talked to  the guy in Laredo about hte C, i suggest passing.  He wants a $1000, which is actually a pretty okay price, but it took a lot to get him to admit it's a Ricky Ricardo  box.  It came form either mexico or South america,  and because parts  weren't easily available,  they are  jury tigged, and very creative, but very bad jury rigging.

GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 10:16:18 am »

Great to know, thanks!  I hadn't heard about the Mexico/Central America Jukes, so I'll keep that in mind when I look at ones down here on the border.

I still have to mull this one over...I'm with most of you on the looks.  The AMIs don't have the curb appeal that the others have, and any jukebox I get has to get past The Boss, so...we'll see.  Don't know if she'll let me bring a sand blasting cabinet in the house!   tounge  Too bad on that C, I do like the looks of them!

Greg

Greg

Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 11:18:12 am »

Find some 45's of her favorite songs, then  slip the juke in the house to play them for her,  My buddy did that , and by golly it worked.  laugh

GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 01:19:11 pm »

Great idea!   hopefull  That just might work...I've used a similar technique for soda machines.  "See honey, isn't this cool having this?!"  Maybe a 45 of "our song" playing when she comes home, and she would be hooked!

I do like the look of the AMI D that Creighton posted up in Spokane a bit ago...that one looks more like a jukebox and less like a sand blasting cabinet.  Will have to keep my eyes open!  There is an AMI B around here for $700 as well.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 01:24:53 pm by GreginTex » Logged

Greg

Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 01:35:59 pm »

What is the differnece between a south of the border juke and a north america one?
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 01:37:20 pm »

Waiting until you find just the right juke for you is always a good thing.

I have the profound problem of loving to tinker with things just to see how they work. So....It sometimes leads me to pick-up "cheap deals" because they are there.

I found my first jukebox, a Seeburg 147 "Trashcan", that way. I had a blast messing with it and ended up trading it up for a Seeburg "B". It wasn't a very expensive lesson, just a longer, drawn out one!

A south of the border box....They don't have the availability of repair parts down south that we do here. During the heyday's (50's-late 60's) there were probably parts distributors but that soon dried up and obsolescence became a problem henceforth all of the modifications a rigging done by operators and private owners to keep them up and running.

This might mean the original amp is gone in favor of a solid state one or the turntable mechanism has been modified. You name, it was probably done.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 01:41:23 pm by BrianB » Logged

Brian
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 03:06:24 pm »

I think Wurlitzer also francised out their operations to a Mexican company... If I remember rightly the inside of the South American 1900 was slightly different in colour than the US one... They were also termite ridden ... Defo worth staying clear of.

I like the AMI but probably wouldn't go for it as a first box... Lots of sense has been written... Hang Grieg one will turn up and with your ability to pick up most anywhere it won't be that long and it will be better than what you have on offer at the moment...

Even if you go for a slightly later model like a Wurlitzer 2300 and above or even A Rockola Princess/Capri it will be more pleasing on the eye than the AMI...

Dave
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 04:52:03 pm »

Like a soda machine, wait for the one you want, and pass the word you are looking.   And we're here to answer questions

GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 10:43:13 am »

All good advice!  Now to figure out what exactly I want...

I'm getting some more info on and AMI Model C from a guy that is supposed to be in pretty decent shape.  That one has a cool, earlier look to it.  If it has the good sound of an AMI, might not be a bad candidate.  What's a good price on one of these?  Looks like there are several AMI E/F jukes coming out of the woodwork at $200-$300 price range.  Any comparison?

Thanks!

Greg

BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 06:22:59 am »

I would say that the AMI C is in a different leauge compared to the E or Fmodel. Like you mentioned, it's got a more classic era jukebox look to it and it's a bit more desirable that the E or F.

I've got a lady locally that has a AMI E that she is trying to sell for $2650 with cracked lower plastics! I talked to her on the phone earlier this week and she seemed like she knew that her price was just a *little* high  biggrin

Yeah, the E's & F's are definitely coming out of the woodwork.

Brian
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 02:48:53 pm »

I just found a G120 local and cheap. Its a restoration gone bad. They lost interest. It is complete and nice but disassembled. Asking $200 and about 2 minutes away. Should I go get it or run? I would be buying for eventual resale once fixed and put back together.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 03:22:45 pm »

That's a tough one Josh.
The price is freat, but I've learned long ago never pick up someones unfinshed resotration.
Personally, i like the G, it has great sound, but not as stylish as other jukes of the same era, K,  ( my opinion)
Without knowing what is missing, or lost, what  needs to be bought, it's hard to  say, if everything )9parts, plastics) were intact,  the chrome isn't heavily pitted, the mech and amp work, get it. won't be a huge profit, but you could make some

loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 09:48:37 am »

Thats what I was thinking. At the least it could be something to part out. I also like the way they look and everyone say they sound great so I could even keep it and find another to restore and use this as parts. They are asking $200 maybe I can get it for $125. Its been for sale for a while and it is just down the street. I am really getting into these Jukes. I now have three and this will make 4. I keep getting these good deals since the economy and I have plenty of room to store them so I figure I might as well and wait for the economy to get better and at least get them working and should make some money. I ust want to make enough profit to pay for my 1454 restoration.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 10:30:37 am »

Josh, I've discovered jukes are a lot like pop machines,  you really can't have just one.
and even when they aren't playing, they have eye appeal.

i'm up to five, and have leads on two more. Okay, also have have a fleding  restration  business going, so some may be finished to sell, but until then, enjoy.  If the price is right, the parts are available, and you like the machines, by all means go for it.

loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 09:47:01 am »

Well I am going to get the Juke. I offered $125 for it and he accepted. It is only 2.5 miles from my house. I think that is a sign. For $125 I know I can at least part it out and make some money.
Seven181
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009, 10:39:26 am »

Josh,

Check your pm's. Are you getting them? I sent you one and trying to see if you will be around, when I head up to Michigan next week.

Brian

Brian  happydrinkers
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: