SMC Discussion Areas
May 08, 2024, 05:13:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Picnic Cooler Lid Repair  (Read 6283 times)
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« on: June 09, 2013, 02:03:10 pm »

Picked up this cooler yesterday for $40 at an Estate Sale.  Making it a Father/Son project to try to semi-restore it.  We have the liner out and the majority of hte dents straightened out (at least to our satisfaction).  Going to work on the minimal rust which should clean up pretty well, but the lid is what needs some attention.  You can see from the pic it has been smashed on one end and one of the corners has a good ding in it.  The liner is spot welded in place so I don't think it can be removed without risking visible damage ot the lid.  Any suggestions other than just pulling up on the handle? 

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Blind1968
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 08:44:20 pm »

That's Awesome, my son has helped me on a few of mine. Good ol quality father son time.  biggrin

~ Bryan
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 09:09:38 pm »

If you can't get your hands on a stud welder, then I would give one of those 'As Seen On Tv' Pops-a-Dent tools a try.  It should help to pop the top back into shape, if the metal hasn't stretched too much from the dents that are there.

Great project with a kid, looking forward to some updates.

Bigfoot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 07:23:32 am »

My experience with pulling up on the handle is that it's 50/50/50.
Half the time it works.
Half the time it doesn't.
Half the time it gets 1/2 the dent.
aspbear
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 04:29:55 pm »

After pulling up the handle (some time you can get some of the dent out) I drill a series of small holes along the stress point of the dent (where the metal was stretched the most) and the use a tapping screw to pull the dent out.  Grind as smooth as possible fiberglass any rust cut outs and use bondo to overfill the area and then sand to get the orginal shape and then sand it to smooth and prime.

aspbear
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 12:45:17 am »

Well here is where we have gotten so far, cut the spot welds out from the lid so we could take it apart.  Was the only way to get the smashed lid back to some form of its original shape.  Actually allowed us to straighten out the edges and get a tight fit reinstalling the bottom panel.  Filled it with low expansion foam and that seems to be holding it together nicely.  Also found out the cardboard trick works very well for liner installation on these smaller coolers as well.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 12:27:57 am »

Well we finished it up over the weekend.  Doesn't look too bad for a couple of amateurs with a couple of cans of spray paint and no real idea of what we were doing.  Lots of minor dents and bodywork flaws, but we had a good time and hopefully its something Jake will keep for years to come.  He thinks its awesome, and the fact we worked on it together has made it my favorite piece. 

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
iggybu
5 Cent Member

My collection so far...!

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 02:07:28 am »

I asked Rick from American restoration about this problem...his solution was to shrink the metal by heating it up then putting a wet towel on it. Keep doing it until
It tightens up the metal and stays popped out. I have yet to try it on my 7up chest but will when I get around to restoring it. Hope this helps. Let me know how it turns out if you try.

He wear no shoeshine,  He got toe jam football, He got monkey finger, He shoot Coca Cola, He say I know you, you know me, One thing I can tell you is you got to be free, Come together, right now, Over me - Beatles

Well I don't drink Coca-Cola, but I sure like an old moonshine - Tom Petty
krovel
5 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 09:50:18 am »

I think your cooler turned out really good. You finished it fast too. I hope mine turns out as well as yours.

Kevin

Westinghouse WB-60 (single select)
Westinghouse WB102
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: