SMC Discussion Areas
May 08, 2024, 03:07:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What type of cooler is this 7UP  (Read 10787 times)
blazin6969

« on: June 03, 2013, 04:24:16 pm »

Hey guys! Finally made it on the site! I have been wanting to do a picnic cooler for a few years now I came across this one below. I would like to know what kind it is I know its a progress refrigeration however when I look at where there pisser is and the handles it looks much different than other 7UP coolers.
I do plan on restoring this, since I did go to school for painting and repairing cars(Just finished my personal car a 2008 tiburon) I thought this should be a little fun weekend project.

Hopefully I can get some more information on this unit, like was the top really red?
Do you guys remove the rivets, when re doing one of these like on the handles and things of that nature.
Was mine supposed to have stainless corner pieces

Thanks and look forward to your replies.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 04:27:23 pm by blazin6969 » Logged
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 09:48:59 pm »

Your's would not have SS corners because if they are missing you would see a small hole in the corners . I would not remove any rivets if it were mine . I would sand to remove paint and even use chemical stripper on the tight spots. Should look great repainted with the embossed letters.

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest
early model Stoner jr.
Stoner theaters
Thanks Jeff
blazin6969

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 09:59:45 pm »

Awesome thanks! The top is a bit bad so my question is how do you guys bang out off the dents? It would be great just to get behind it with a hammer and dollie. I also got a spot welder for pulling dents as well might go that route too! Just worried bout some burn threw. Its defiantly more unique than some other 7UP ones I see currently on ebay. It gets me too because the pisser is on the side by the handles.

I am still debating on doing the embossed metal by hand or by making a stencil and painting it and masking it off then clear coat it all.
Blind1968
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 10:00:06 pm »

No I don't think the tops were ever red and No, would not take the tray apart. I would Just clean it and the liner up with CLR  (http://www.jelmar.com/CLRbasic.htm)  rinse good as if left too long it will remove the galvanizing. I have one just like yours that I have dissembled to have painted. It does not have the SS corners either.  When I disassembled mine I removed the liner by carefully lifting up on the lip separating the crimping and pulling the liner out.  Keep in mind when re-installing you will have to recrimp the lip.

~Bryan
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:01:53 pm by Blind1968 » Logged

~ Bryan
blazin6969

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 10:06:12 pm »

Awesome thanks! Now I know to go back to white for the top if it as well! I was going to keep it red and do green pinstripes on the top. Do you have any pictures of yours finished? And how do you guys feel about using body filler on these? I mean for a show peice might be cool, but since i want to use mine I am a bit skeptical. Maybe ill glass it and fill in with putty. Maybe some of these dents will pop out hopefully.
Blind1968
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 10:13:28 pm »

Awesome thanks! Now I know to go back to white for the top if it as well! I was going to keep it red and do green pinstripes on the top. Do you have any pictures of yours finished? And how do you guys feel about using body filler on these? I mean for a show peice might be cool, but since i want to use mine I am a bit skeptical. Maybe ill glass it and fill in with putty. Maybe some of these dents will pop out hopefully.

Unfortunately mine is still in pieces in the shop, I never got around to getting it painted.  Never enough time to get all my projects done... down

~ Bryan
blazin6969

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 10:24:20 pm »

Yea think my plan of attack on this guy will be to strip the paint down, use some self etching primer pull most dents finish with bondo...And still with original paint. I think the only hard color to find will be the green. I am going to paint the bottle opener 7UP green. Might still keep the top red and paint the rest white and hand paint or stencil the embossing on it.
Bigfoot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 08:05:10 pm »

That model is called an AA1.
Lid would be white.
Hope that helps.
Biggy
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 08:14:44 pm »

The chips in the paint on the lid show white underneath so that was original.  But I do like that lid in a red that matches the red logos.

Glen
blazin6969

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 10:21:04 pm »

Awesome thanks guys, where do you get all this historical info on these like model numbers ect.
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 10:12:31 am »

You can always pick up a copy of Jeff Walters book: http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPLETE-GUIDE-TO-COLLECTIBLE-PICNIC-COOLERS-AND-ICE-CHESTS-by-Jeff-Walters-NEW-/350807648754?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51adc3e9f2

The estimated prices are out of date, but it's a good reference for ID

On that note, I didn't realize the books were at this price point, might have to throw my copy on ebay!

Bigfoot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 07:41:59 am »

That seller is asking a premium for perfect copies but I bought 2 copies last year for way less.
Both lightly used. One copy was $5. The other I think $20.
Hope that helps
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: