SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 06:04:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie needs help id-ing a dixie narco (80's?)  (Read 4055 times)
« on: November 10, 2005, 07:04:33 pm »

Hello - yes, this is my first post, and i'm a rookie at all this pop machine stuff.  I recently acquired an RC Cola pop machine for free.  I know that it's a Dixie-Narco (front of machine says it right below change slot), but other than that, i don't know much about it.  I've done a little research, and i'd like to find out what model number this machine is - the first thing i looked for was the ID tag on the left side of the door.  all that's left are a couple of holes and a "clean" spot where it used to be.  I did find a tag on the inside of the machine, at the very bottom (attached to compresser maybe?).  it read:

Dixie Narco
Model #:  300
S/N:  0765-2706AI

i don't believe thats the model of the machine, i'm guessing it's the model of the compressor (or whatever part) it was attached to.  I have taken a couple pictures, and i will try to post them here in a reply.  Please if anyone has any ideas as to what model this machine is, and as to how old it might be (i'm guessing mid 80's) it would be GREATLY appreciated!  i'm curious as to how much pop it holds, etc.  OH - it does have 8 flavor choices (as you'll see in the pic, if i can get it to work).  

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

Bryan H
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 07:07:47 pm »

oh - my plans for this machine are to get it working again - i'm told it works, but the cord is frayed badly, so that will be replaced, and i'm hoping it works.  here's 2 more pics - ANY help is greatly appreciated!  thank you very much!

Bryan
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 01:01:25 pm »

ok - i replaced the power cord (boy was it nasty), and plugged it in over the weekend - she fired right up!  all of the lights work, all of the switches work, and it dispenses pop perfectly!  i was thrilled!  i left a couple cans inside, and left it running for about 6 hours.  i came back, purchased a pop to see how cold it would be - it was still room temperature.  So, i have a refridgeration issue.  It's R-12, so that could make things interesting.  I still really need to find out what model this machine is though, so if i have to purchase parts, i can do so.  If ANYONE has any ideas as to what model this machine is, or where i might be able to find more information, PLEASE let me know.  Thank you very much!

Bryan
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 02:26:06 pm »

Does the top fan run ? (behind the coils under the can rack)  Does it have a thermostat that you can adjust ?

From what I gather, R-12 means an expensive service call to an air-conditioning/refrigeration company to top it up (the gas isn't cheap either afaik), or rebuilding the compressor with new seals, oil, etc to use R-134a..  I don't know if there are any publicly available drop-in replacements for R-12.. (the ones I've seen require a license like R-12)

Someone with a little more kowledge/experience may be able to suggest a further course of action..

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 02:33:11 pm »

Thank you very much for your reply!  when i powered the machine up, i tested all the lights, buttons, can empty switches, etc...  But i did notice i felt no air moving at all within the machine.  Maybe it is a fan that's the problem...  I noticed that some of the metal faces (sorry for the poor lingo - not too familiar with this machine yet) did get cold towards the bottom of the machine (under the can rack).  I'll check out the fans (how many are there?), and see if that leads me in the right direction.  Also something i noticed (and you might be able to see it in the picture), there's a lightbulb wired in below the can rack.  does anyone know the reason for this?  when you close the machine, you can't see the light on - maybe it's used to keep it from freezing up?  not sure.  Thanks!
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 04:52:23 pm »

I don't know about your particular model, but most machines have 2 fans.. 1 underneath the machine where the compressor is.. (may be hidden behind the compressor).. and another fan (hidden) behind the evaporator (top set of coils under the can rack)..

I don't know about all machines, but on mine the compressor and lower fan run continuously, and the upper fan cuts in and out with the thermostat. I had the same problem as you, no air moving, cans stay room temperature, so I turned the thermostat all the way up and the fan kicked in..

As for the light, I think it's a service light.. it comes on when something is wrong with the compressor.. (not 100% on this.. I could be wrong..)
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 10:24:05 am »

Thanks for your reply again - After doing some research (IOW, searching ebay until finding units that match), I believe this to be a Dixie Narco 368 of some sort.  I don't have any further info than that.  I'd like to know about what year it was made, and I wouldn't mind having a manual for it on hand either.  I found some manuals on ebay for around $20 (not bad), but i dont know exactly which one to buy yet.  Oh well - unfortuantely, we're moving into a rental for the time being until our house is built, so the machine has gone into dry storage until the end of next summer.  then i'll get it out and play with it.  Thanks for all the help though!

Bryan
KreKol
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 10:38:18 am »

For a Manual go to Dixie Narco's  home page.    Dixie Narco  You will have to go threw a lot of PDFs but you should find one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: