SMC Discussion Areas
May 02, 2024, 04:31:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Refrigerant or something else?  (Read 5723 times)
« on: July 06, 2005, 10:39:19 pm »

Hi All!

The applianceblog folks sent me here, figuring you all could give me better advice.

I bought this commercial coke bottle cooler from someone on craigslist who promised that it worked, blah blah.  It doesn't.  I am fairly convinced that it just needs charging.   The problem is that I can't find any service ports.  I checked the bottom of the unit near the compressor but no luck.  Anyone have any experience with one of these things?  I just need to know where I can charge it from.  It is labeled, so I know what kind of refrigerant to use, just not where to put it.

It's one of those display type refrigerators that you lift the glass door opened to get the sodas from.  It has 10 spring loaded slots that each hold about 8-10 sodas.  Anyway, I can't seem to charge it up and I need help!

BryanH
Soda Jerks

Sweatin' in Arizona... but it's a dry heat!

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 02:41:41 am »

Welcome.  Most of these machine's refrigeration units are sealed.  To charge them they need to be tapped and charged (by a professional).

Thanks, Bryan
   Cavalier USS-96: unrestored, working on the back patio
   CV VUB/C 8-91: a fantasy restoration?
   GE Cooler: in pieces, my next project
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 07:54:59 am »

Ok,

I just have a couple of more questions.  First when we purchased this, we were not informed that a) it had not been run since last summer and b) it had been sitting outside since then.  Could that have effected it's functioning?

Secondly, when we transported it, it was put into my suv on its side and transported 70 miles that way before being unloaded into my shop.  We let it sit for a while before turning it back on, but it never blew cold air for us.

Is it possible that trasportating it on its side caused the coolant to evaporate, or is it likely to be malfunctioning for another reason?  I am in communication with the person who sold this machine to me and I am seriously considering asking for my money back.  I want to be sure that I cannot be at fault in any way for it not working.  I can't afford to throw money away like this.

Thanks for your help!
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 08:36:08 am »

As long as you let it sit for some time laying down will not hurt it. I generally wait 24 hours. There are a few things you need to check first before determining it needs a charge. First make sure that both fans are running. Your cooling system might be cooling fine but if the top fan isn't blowing air over the evaporator coils it will not cool the machine. Second make sure that the compressor is even running. When you plug it in the top "evaporator" fan turns on even if the cooling system is not running. Gently place your hand on the compressor to make sure it is running Be carefull it may be hot, also see if the lower fan is turning. If it is not that is a sign that the compressor is not running. Next Your thermostat has an off detent on it and make sure that it is not turned off. If the thermostat is not in the off position and the compressor is not running you might have a bad thermostat. You can check this by removing the wires on the back of the thermostat and hook them together. Make sure that the machine is unplugged as these wires are hot. By doing this you are bypassing the thermostat. This is just a check, do not leave the machine plugged in like this as it will keep running and either burn up the compressor or freeze over. If the compressor turns on you know that it is the thermostat that is bad. If all this doesn't help and the compressor is still off you might want to replace the compressor starter. Check all of these and then I will explain how to replace the starter.

In order for the machine to need a charge there has to be a hole in the system somewhere. These cooling systems are sealed so there is no way for the coolant to leak out besides a hole or a bad compressor. If it is infact low on coolant it will need to be serviced by a professional.
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 12:03:46 pm »

One item to note: if the condensor fan (located next to the compressor) isn't running, it doesn't necessarily mean the compressor isn't running but could merely be a fried fan motor.  Have someone plug in the machine (or operate the thermostat, rotating it from "off" to any position) while you have your hand on the compressor.  An audible "click" followed by vibration under your hand, and possibly some gassing sounds from the piping are generally good indicators of a running compressor.  As noted above, they usually get warm too.  If the compressor is running and the condensor fan does not spin, you've got a bad fan motor or bad wiring to the motor.  This will also prevent the compressor from cooling correctly.  New motors are available from several sources including Graingers, Funtronics, and Soda Jerk Works.  The latter two are sponsors of this site with banners located on this page and on the homepage for this site.

Help us help you by posting some pics of your machine when you get the chance!  Also, welcome aboard!

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

1955 Vendo 23 - awaiting restoration
1959 Westinghouse WC-44SK - awaiting parts
1967 Cavalier CS-64G - functional in house
1969 Vendo 63 - in restoration
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 01:11:21 pm »

Thank you all for your help!  The fan by the compressor is indeed not turning when plugged in.  Here are some pictures:

I have no idea where the thermostat is on this sucker.  Would it bt by the compressor?  There is a spot with a small rubbery cover that's held down with a clip that holds some elctronic looking componants; I didn't examine it in detail.  Could that be where it is?  Sorry for being so vague.

Thanks again!
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 01:25:32 pm »

Your machine is much newer than I have ever worked on. It can't be that old as they are still making the same machine I think. I really can't be of any help on that machine.
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 09:25:03 pm »

The thermostat, on that cooler, will probably be somewhere in the cooling compartment, near the evaporator coil. Sometimes, on newer boxes, the units will have the thermostat covered and labeled. Have a look. As stated above, you can jump the stat wires completely bypassing the control. By doing this, you will run a direct current to the compressor and lower fan motor. Both the compressor and the lower fan will run together, at the same time, via the thermostat. If it fires up, you have a bad stat! If the compressor runs and the fan motor does not, it won't cool properly if at all. Replace the motor and then try again. If the compressor won't run and you hear "click" every few seconds, the relay or overload may be bad. In that case, you can post the model number of the compressor itself and we can get you a new set of components or worst case you can use a 3in1 start kit and see if that will knock it loose.

Eric

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
BryanH
Soda Jerks

Sweatin' in Arizona... but it's a dry heat!

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2005, 09:08:18 am »

I just sold one of those coolers.  The thermostat is under the top cover.  4 screws (2 on each side as you can see in your 2nd pic) need to be removed to free the top cover from the body.  Thermostat will be on the left hand side at the top of the body.

Thanks, Bryan
   Cavalier USS-96: unrestored, working on the back patio
   CV VUB/C 8-91: a fantasy restoration?
   GE Cooler: in pieces, my next project
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 11:45:04 am »

Ok, I trouble shot this and the compressor is just not kicking in.  I guess I will have to get someone out to repair this thing, I am just afraid of how much a job like this will cost.  Can anyone recommend someone in the Northern Virginia area who I can trust not to over charge me?
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2005, 03:58:12 pm »

Thank you all!  I just wanted you to know that I bypassed the thermostat and bingo it works.  I'm gonna order me a new one, clean it up some and I am back in business.

Horray!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: