SMC Discussion Areas
May 02, 2024, 02:03:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How often should it cycle on/off?  (Read 2746 times)
« on: September 04, 2004, 09:07:15 pm »

I have a Cavalier bottle machine. I got it at an auction. It needed the thermostat replaced. I replaced it with a universal from a local refrig parts house. To me it seems to cycle on and off alot. it cools down to around 37. it seems to cycle about every 2 mins. It has aroud 2 1/2 cases of drinks in it too. Does this seem to be to often? Do I need a diferent t-stat?  Any help is appreciated.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2004, 11:14:32 pm »

Sounds like the thermostat's "cut in" ( turns the compressor "on") point is too low, & causing the compressor to "short-cycle" that is to say, the temperature that the thermostat "Cuts-in" is too close to the "cut-out" (turns it off) setting, you may need to select one with a higher "cut-in" point say around 50-degree's F.

Another thing to remember is that there are some types of
'T-stats , that are intended to have their capillary tube in direct contact with the evaporator coils/assembly, while the other is intended to directly measure the chilled air temperature itself, why? because the first type (direct contact) would have a lower "cutout" range of say 11.5F to 27.5F, ( lowest to highest adjustment with the knob) BUT the air temperature  coming off of the coils will be 7-12F warmer (due to heat transfer & air flow efficencies-.. Yada-Yada)
than the colder metal of the coil assy. itself, ( not to get too scientific on you)

so, assuming they sold you an "air sensing" type, 1st make sure the T'-stat's temperature sensing "bulb" or "tip"
(sometimes a small coil of tubing) at the end of the capillary tube is not dirrectly in the cold air-stream blasting out of the evaporator coils , but positioned more into the beverage compartment of the machine, ( off to the side)
2nd, don't allow it to contact the colder metal of the coils/evaporator assy. itself, or kink it too much ( no sharp turns) or allow it to rest/run along in contact with the evaporators' sheet metal cover.  hope this helps & you can always contact Eric over at Global compressors if your'e still running into touble....:Wink:

JohnieG

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004, 09:05:08 am »

Does any one know the correct part # for the t-stat? it is a Ranco type A 12 with some other #'s behind it. I tossed the old one out because I thought I had the machine fixed. Any help is apprecieated. the box is a css-141

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2004, 12:42:16 pm »

What johnie is saying is move the capillary tube because it is too sensitive to the cold. You may have to try several locations before it acts like you want it to.
        Also, many replacement thermostats have adjustments for cut-in and cut-out temperatures. Check yours.
      I doubt you can find an exact match to your old t'-stat unless you settle for used. You were on the right track.

Glen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: