SMC Discussion Areas
May 09, 2024, 07:02:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Progress dr pepper cooler disassembly help...  (Read 6669 times)
iggybu
5 Cent Member

My collection so far...!

« on: July 19, 2012, 03:16:13 am »

Hello everyone,

I just picked up a progress refrigeration dr pepper cooler, I believe the A1 model and it has a lot of surface rust with some holes toward the bottom along with some dents....how do I take this thing apart to restore it?   Ill try to get Pics on here within a few days.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:52:54 am by johnieG » Logged

He wear no shoeshine,  He got toe jam football, He got monkey finger, He shoot Coca Cola, He say I know you, you know me, One thing I can tell you is you got to be free, Come together, right now, Over me - Beatles

Well I don't drink Coca-Cola, but I sure like an old moonshine - Tom Petty
ss540
10 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 07:54:52 am »

I took one apart for bodywork.  I bought a "NICE" RC cooler off ebay and by the time the Post Office used it for fork lift training, it was so full of dents, I felt I had to take it apart to dolly the dents.  I used a stiff putty knife to pry the liner crimp away from the main body and was able to remove the liner.  To reinstall it, I used a flat bladed crimp tool, but it didn't crimp the liner anywhere near like the factory crimp.  There may be a better crimper for this job.  I left out the insulation and it made the cooler somewhat lighter.  It's for display only, and won't be used for picnics.  I would need a fork lift to carry it full of ice and drinks.

Down in Texas
iggybu
5 Cent Member

My collection so far...!

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 12:49:39 pm »

Thanks for the help...I bought this One off eBay and the guy lived about a half hour away...lucky me!  It had way more dents than expected...the top is pushed in, the corner prOtectors are dented...the handle on the lid is tweaked, one of the sides is dented so the big handle scrapes....and the thing is rust brown with a little paint left...only a few small holes that are an easy fix with a little bondo....I need to finish my coke machines first before i even start on this project...anyway, thanks for the info.  Hopefully I will be able to Get it back together without any troubles.

He wear no shoeshine,  He got toe jam football, He got monkey finger, He shoot Coca Cola, He say I know you, you know me, One thing I can tell you is you got to be free, Come together, right now, Over me - Beatles

johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 05:15:21 pm »

Helpful hint, to re-crimp the liner of the picnic cooler back to the outer body, I used a flat sheet metal duckbill pliers then finished it up with an old fashioned hand-turned can opener (the kind with the large mickey-mouse ear shaped turning handle) with the cutting blade removed, you can control the pressure & it did a nice job, but the corners were tricky to get it into, so out came the trusty old vice-grip pliers.  PS crimp it before you have it painted obviously!    Here's a Pic of mine from a while ago....
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 05:19:06 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
iggybu
5 Cent Member

My collection so far...!

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 02:46:55 pm »

well i got my cooler finished...not too bad for my first resto...probably should've worked out the dings a little more and sandblasted it more but there was a lot of rust!

iggybu
5 Cent Member

My collection so far...!

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 02:48:12 pm »

And thanks for your help everyone!  got a 7up cooler next after i finish my Westinghouse WE6!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: