SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 12:09:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Refinishing dispensing assembly  (Read 6544 times)
« on: October 17, 2002, 07:02:33 pm »

How were the insides of these machines originally finished?
The shell of the assembly is aluminum and the drum / parts  look like an alloy.
Were the drum / parts anodized or something?
This is my first refurb and if you have read my post in Pre-60's then you know the story. I had the shell of the assembly chemically dipped years ago and looks shiny, but was it coated with anything?
What do you guys do to the insides? I am willing to start from scratch if necessary.
Any help is always appreciated,
Tom
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2002, 08:57:03 pm »

The drum is just pot-metal and had no coating that I know of on it, (correct me if I'm wrong Guys) the only original
I've seen may have had a Clear-cad/zinc plating on it, but I think (working from memory) it was just plain old pot-metal, the shell/chassis is aluminum (so it's a Coke) and I think there was some type of special primer used to help the paint stick
to aluminum so it wouldn't peel/flake off, I'd think a self etching primer would do the trick. hopefully someone here has restored one of these and can help out more...JohnieG

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2002, 09:49:17 pm »

JohnieG,
I assumed that the chassis would have to be primed and I think you are correct with the self-etching primer. I am more concerned at this point with the dispensing assembly. I wouldn't think there was anything coating the aluminum inside. Aluminum is not rust condusive, so why would there be any need. As I said, it is shiny as is. Anyone? Please feel free to chime in.
Tom
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2002, 10:20:21 am »

Aluminum has a tendency to oxidize over time so having the item clear powder coated will ensure a long lasting finish. If the drum isn't very shiney, you could have it bead blasted prior to powder coating...

My recommendation is if you intend to do one part, then powder coat all the parts for consistancy.

My six cents,

Jim

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2002, 02:12:24 pm »

Thanks Jim for your input.
Would clear powder coating yellow with age?
The reason I ask is that if you go to my post in pre-60's, I have uploaded a picture of the inside of my 27A (which I believe to be original). If you look at the drum in the picture you will see it has got a yellowish tint to it (which I am sure is from age). It appears as though the coating was slapped on by hand as you can see places where it runs. It was not applied to the cavities (triangular sections - not where the bottles go) or any of the rollers. The coating has a plastic look to it now as it is dry and brittle. I acquired the 27A in the late 80's and for all I know someone else coated it.
I agree that clear powder coating will probably look the best and probably be more durable. I am just debating the factory condition. Tom
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2002, 06:18:18 pm »

I just finished my VMC 33 and since it has a similar setup. This is what I did.
The inner cabinent had some sort of coating on it.  I don't think it was zinc, but it might have been something similar.  I had those inner parts re-zinc plated.  They look BRAND NEW.  If you didn't know what they looked like before you would never know they were original.  As fas as the drum goes, I had a friend take care of it for me but he took it to the plater and had it re-galvinized.  It didn't look as good as the zinc but it is very presentable.  I bead blasted the drum rollers and had them powdercoated clear trying to keep future oxidation to a minimum.  I think you could get the drum powdercoated with about the same results.
I think the machine turned out pretty well and should hold up for a long time to come.

Thanks,
Marvin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: