SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 04:05:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Screws to hold evap fan mount in place  (Read 5871 times)
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« on: March 16, 2015, 08:35:18 pm »

Does anyone know a source for the long skinny screws that pass through the evaporator coil to hold the fan mount bracket in place?   They are fine-thread and about 2 1/2 inches long.  They use a little square sheet metal "nut" to hold them in place.

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 09:25:09 pm »

If they're not readily available, you could always turn to all-thread-rod with a nut at each end.

Glen
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 11:16:21 pm »

Can't help with the screws, but the 'nuts' are called speed nuts, you can pick them up at Lowes/HD or most auto stores.  For those random screws/bolts, I polish them up with a wire wheel on a bench grinder, saves some time and $$ and they come out with a nice shine and clean threads.

jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 08:45:02 am »

Can't help with the screws, but the 'nuts' are called speed nuts, you can pick them up at Lowes/HD or most auto stores.  For those random screws/bolts, I polish them up with a wire wheel on a bench grinder, saves some time and $$ and they come out with a nice shine and clean threads.

Thanks Tom - not sure why I was blanking on "speed nuts" - there are quite a few of them used on my Triumph.   I suspect I may be able to go a little thicker than original on these and may be able to find some pan-head stainless screws that will work.  Won't know until this weekend when I get a chance to run to the local hardware store.  My local Ace Hardware hasn't let me down too often when I need oddball sizes of fasteners.

Unfortunately I can't clean these originals up.  The rust monster has eaten into them to the point where 2 of the 3 are nearly rusted through.  The one in the pic is the best of the 3 and the threads on it are not great.

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 08:12:17 am »

For those of you interested - they are #6-32 screws, 2 1/2" long.   My local big box store had them in 2" or 3" length so I picked up a pack or the 3" and will cut them down to size.

Big thanks to Janet at FunTronics for helping me ID them.  I thought they were either #6 or #8 but knowing that in advance shortened my time digging around at the store.

Jim

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
georgescustompaint
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 08:07:30 pm »

i usually replace those with black plastic zip ties.
You can snug them nice and tight and don't have to deal with them rusting away later due to moisture.

jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 08:27:58 pm »

You can snug them nice and tight and don't have to deal with them rusting away later due to moisture.

Good thought Shane -  It's not like I don't have about 1,000 zip ties in my garage.   smile   

I found 3" stainless screws and cut them down to size with my dremel.

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 09:17:13 pm »

Excellent suggestion.......thanks Shane!

Glen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: