SMC Discussion Areas
June 01, 2024, 01:28:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Progress on the VMC-44 cooling deck  (Read 22069 times)
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 08:11:21 pm »

Looking good Jim, when I polish my copper lamps I use 00 steel wool, followed by 0000, then some Flitz on a rag, makes for a great shiny finish.  Though you can only really do so much polishing on something that only you're going to see when you open the machine to stock it.  Though it is satisfying to see it when you do!

jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 11:50:04 am »

Looking good Jim, when I polish my copper lamps I use 00 steel wool, followed by 0000, then some Flitz on a rag, makes for a great shiny finish.  Though you can only really do so much polishing on something that only you're going to see when you open the machine to stock it.  Though it is satisfying to see it when you do!

You make a good point Tom.  I'm at the point now where the copper is "good enough" for me and I've removed or neutralized any rust on the unit.  I'm not planning at this point to do a full restoration on the cabinet, it is a nice survivor, so it makes little sense to go really over the top with the cooling deck.  The copper is mostly shiny but still has tarnish in some of the crevices.  I hit it with 000 steel wool first to get most of the really bad oxidation off it then used the vinegar/flour/salt paste to get it a little better.

Next stop - grinding away all the old rust in the bottom of the cabinet.  A nice clean cooling unit needs a clean home.    I'm going to have to cut and drill out the blobs of rust that used to be the feet for this thing.

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 12:31:47 pm »

I would replace the thread inserts for the leg levelers a very simple since you have the compressor out!

http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,16896.0.html
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 12:34:33 pm by Slapshot42 » Logged
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 12:48:39 pm »

I would replace the thread inserts for the leg levelers a very simple since you have the compressor out!

You would Jared because you have a neighbor with a welder!  laugh I don't think Jim is up to that.

His aren't nearly as bad, pretty typical actually. Soak with PB blaster and whack the bottom with a hammer.

Glen
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 01:00:42 pm »

Well crap!!   biggrin  Mine looked like they were at sea for 50 years!!
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 01:32:05 pm »

They've been soaking overnight in PBBlaster.  I'll whack 'em with a BFH when I get home tonight to see if I can encourage them to come out.  Otherwise I'll take my angle grinder to them with a cutoff wheel and see if I can make progress with that.

Those leg levelers are sweet Jared.  I may need to do that.  I have a few sources with welders that might be able to help me out.

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 05:28:46 pm »

Made some good progress this weekend.  Sanded and painted a few bits, got those old rusted-on legs cut off with my angle grinder and sanded the bottom and inside of the compressor area.

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 05:30:18 pm »

Also got the liner pulled out and removed all the old insulation.  The insulation wasn't quite as nasty as I feared.

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2015, 05:35:17 pm »

Looking Great Jim!

Looks like you are learning lots about the Vendo 44!!!
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 06:23:03 pm »

Thanks Jared - yeah, this machine is a lot of fun.  It's so small that everything can easily be done by one person.  After I removed the liner it was easy to carry it outside for the grinding and sanding.  When I finished I had to get dinner started so I just carried it over and put it in the garage until next weekend when I can hand-sand the smaller areas of the bottom and prime/paint it.  Since I now have all the shrouds and other miscellaneous bits painted I will start putting the compressor back together as time permits after work this week.

Jim

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: