SMC Discussion Areas
June 01, 2024, 12:27:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Progress on the VMC-44 cooling deck  (Read 22068 times)
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« on: March 09, 2015, 09:01:51 pm »

Making some good progress on the cleanup of the VMC-44 cooling deck.  Got the base plate cleaned and painted, cleaned and painted the compressor, cleaned the condenser and evaporator and started polishing the copper lines.
Questions:
1) How do you clean the gunk between the fins on the condenser?  I used a toothbrush and shop vac but can't reach everything.  Should I take it outside and hit it with the hose?  I want to paint it but need to get it cleaned out first.
2) Polishing the copper - the single round tubes are no problem, a little sandpaper and steel wool.  There is a 'bonded' (excuse the incorrect term) line that is 2 lines in one - a small and a larger line (hi and low pressure?) there's a lot of gunk in the crevice between the larger and smaller tubes.  Any suggestions on how to get in there?  I'm thinking maybe my dremel with a buffing pad and some polishing compound?

Here are some quick before/after pics of what I've done so far:

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 12:23:35 am »

What fun, typed up a detailed what to do. Gone.
Some sort of server error. PM phone # and a good time to call.
Creighton
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 10:44:07 am »

Thanks Creighton - PM sent.

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 07:21:41 pm »

Hey,Jim

Your doing such a great job I got a couple decks heading your way !!!   tounge  LOL

All is looking great Buddy !!!

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 08:22:59 am »

Hey,Jim

Your doing such a great job I got a couple decks heading your way !!!   tounge  LOL

All is looking great Buddy !!!

Thanks Leonard - it is very satisfying work (to me) to take something rusty and ugly and make it look nice and new-ish again.  I don't have the specialty skills or tools to actually fix a cooling unit but I feel like I can tackle cleanup and re-wiring of one now.  Of course - I'm not under any customer deadline, so I can work on it as I have time.    smile

This weekend will be cleaning up the small fan and other assorted brackets and repainting them.  Both of the original fans turn smooth and seem to work fine during the few minutes it was plugged in but I'm ordering replacements from FunTronics just to be safe.  I'd hate to do all this and have to turn around and pull the whole thing again to replace a bad fan. 

Jim

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 12:05:29 pm »

More progress this morning.  Decent weather here (windy and cool) so I got the deck outside to clean it up some more.   I mixed up a paste of flour, vinegar and salt to clean the copper.    Glopped it on and scrubbed it with an old toothbrush.  Let it sit for 30 minutes and hosed it off.  Pretty happy with the results.  It didn't get everything but its good enough for me.  I might have left it sit a little long since some of the pasted dried on.  I had to hit it with the toothbrush and garden hose to clear it all off.

Since I was hosing it, I hit the condenser and evap coils with the garden hose as well.  Flushed a lot of gunk out from the fins.   Once the condenser is dry, I'll hit it with a light coat of satin black paint.   Almost ready to start reassembly!

Here's some before, during and after shots:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 12:07:12 pm by jholmgren » Logged

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
ld26
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 12:42:32 pm »

wow Jim looking good, your giving me the confidence to try one of these myself one day

I love quikold coolers
www.quikold.com
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 02:02:30 pm »

I think everyone who owns a machine should follow Jim's step by step directions, and do at least one.
        Not only is it a great learning experience, but it improves the safety, efficiency and looks of the machine.
        Fantastic job Jim

Glen
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 06:57:24 pm »

Try using a little steel wool on the cooler will shine up nicely!!

Here is a picture of w cooling deck out a Vendo 23 just started cleaning it, not done by any means. . .
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 06:59:25 pm by Slapshot42 » Logged
Jared
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 07:56:20 pm »

great job guys
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: