SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 01:19:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USS 8-64 White?  (Read 3887 times)
Rob_Feature

« on: June 19, 2014, 09:02:58 am »

As my first machine (which I got pretty cheap) I'm going to be doing a 'spruce-up' (I woudn't really call it a restoration), mostly just getting the rust out and adding a little 'pop' to the look.  I may or may not touch the red because I'm not sure I want to deal with stencils...

The white areas are really what I need to touch up or re-do.  As a noob, I had a hard time finding which white paint I should use to match the machine.  I'll probably be forced to do ALL the white (since it's so grimy), which is fine, so maybe an exact match isn't important, but I know I probably shouldn't just buy an off-the-shelf Rustoleom white.

Can someone recommend the rattle can I should get from Home Depot and which finish?  (assuming I'll have to clear-coat it when I'm done?)

Thanks, here's the current state of the machine:

---------

-Bob
SodaNoob w/ a Westinghouse WB78 & Cavalier USS-8-64
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 09:13:57 am »

Go to the dollar store and look for Mean Green. It's a non toxic cleaner that will clean it up your machine real well. And for a buck a spray bottle, cheap enough to try  before gong the paint route

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Rob_Feature

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 09:16:08 am »

k, cool, I'll start there.  There's a bunch of rust you cant see very well in this pic, though (especially on the top).  So I'll give it a good clean up first, then see what I need.  But once I get that rust off, I think I'm going to need some paint.

---------

-Bob
SodaNoob w/ a Westinghouse WB78 & Cavalier USS-8-64
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 09:23:31 am »

You could do a search on this site for a product called Rustmort.  "You'll wonder where the yellow went".    biggrin

Glen
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 12:24:36 am »

Welcome to the board!
Get a soft brush and a micro-fiber towel with warm water and Dawn soap give it a good bath.
Rustmort is the next step to finished machine.
Holler with any questions.
Creighton
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 12:36:06 am by Creighton » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: