SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 12:10:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paint Removers  (Read 5104 times)
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« on: May 11, 2014, 12:07:21 pm »

I am doing a clean up/restore on a Victor C-45 4 door cooler and need some advice on touching up the paint around the recessed kick plate area.  This cooler is for my use only and I just want to clean it up the best I can.  There is a lot of paint chipping around the kick plate area and so I wanted to at minimum just repaint this area.  It came in black and is a separate piece of metal then the body so I don't think painting it will be that hard to do.  Again, this cooler is just for me so it does not have to be perfect.  My question is how much time and effort do I spend on prepping this area to be painted.  I don't have access to a sand blaster and am not going to try to bring it somewhere to get it done (it weighs around 770lbs).  So I thought about maybe using a paint stripper such as Aircraft Remover (I read several articles on the discussions about this) or something similar.   My other option is to just sand it the best I can and repaint it.   Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.  If I go with a paint remover, what do people use?   As always, thanks!!!
Yarochrehc
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 07:49:42 pm »

If you can just sand the area and get it smooth enough to prime and paint will probably be the best way to go.  If you decide to use a paint remover I have used aircraft paint remover, but be careful not to get it on any other surfaces.

Bob

Restored
Vendo H63B  Coke in use in basement
Original
Vendo V/VF63/7  Pepsi in use

Restoring: Glascock Standard
(2) Vendo 63
(2)Vendo 90
Vendo 126  waiting for paint
VMC 56
Westinghouse WE-6
doomedgame

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 09:36:47 am »

The hard part of body work is the prep if the chips are deep (more then one layer) strip it. I used a house paint stripper on my machine. It worked well not that bad of a smell and sells every where. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Citristrip-1-Qt-Safer-Paint-and-Varnish-Stripping-Gel-QCG73801T/100208204
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 09:50:49 am »

If the paint is already chipping off, there is a good chance you could take a razor blade and finish it off.

Glen
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 09:16:34 pm »

Thanks for all the responses.  I tried my orbital sander on it just to try it and it did a pretty good job of smoothing things out.  It did not take it all down to the metal, but made it pretty smooth which will work for me since it is only the recessed kick plate.  Thanks again.
krovel
5 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 05:00:01 pm »

I used this lately and it really took the paint off quick.  It went to bare metal and made less mess than with the sander. It makes a lot of heat if you leave it in one place to long but you get used to it pretty quick.

Good luck

http://t.harborfreight.com/4-in-shaft-mounted-polycarbide-abrasive-wheel-60510.html

Westinghouse WB-60 (single select)
Westinghouse WB102
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 09:48:49 pm »

krovel, thanks for the reply.  I have only used my sander on the short sides so maybe I will try your thought on the long sides.
krovel
5 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 01:22:10 am »

no problem, you may know already but they also make thise pads for an angle grinder. i hear it works much better but I am pretty cheap so i just used the one for my drill.
good luck with your sanding job.  post some pics i'm curious how it turns out

Westinghouse WB-60 (single select)
Westinghouse WB102
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: