SMC Discussion Areas
May 31, 2024, 05:13:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soda blasting recommendations?  (Read 4708 times)
JimFromSTL

I'm an IT manager with a zest for mantiques.

« on: June 13, 2013, 10:11:32 pm »

Hey everybody, I've been absent for awhile

I'm thinking of buying a soda blaster from Harbor Freight this weekend and renting a large air compressor.  Any personal experience with these?  I've read all the reviews and think it's worth the risk, I'll just keep my receipts. 

I plan on learning to do this on a pedal car I have then moving up to soda machines and other stuff.

Thx.

Looking for:
Dr Pepper and Hires Root beer items. 
Duncan parking meters
License plates for trade
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 08:21:30 am »

I guess if you have the money to do it , and bother with renting a compressor and the space to do your own blasting then go for it ..

personally I like paying $50.00 to have my stuff blasted at the local body shop.. cheap, easy and no mess at my place.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
JimFromSTL

I'm an IT manager with a zest for mantiques.

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 12:58:29 pm »

I would happily go that route if I had options.  All the local guys either don't do it any longer or want a mint.  I paid $75 for a single gumball machine to be blasted.  Two of those and I could buy a blaster.  4 more and I could buy a compressor.  For now my plan is to buy a soda blaster and media and rent the compressor.  We'll see how it goes.

Looking for:
Dr Pepper and Hires Root beer items. 
Duncan parking meters
License plates for trade
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 04:51:25 am »

I purchased a small blaster from harbor freight and figured what the heck. The biggest problem is getting the soda medium into it because the opening is too small and it takes forever to get it in. the second thing to consider is a really good inline drier to keep the moisture out so it doesn't cause the soda to clump up and clog the hose and nozzle.
Other than that it doesn't do too bad a job. I use mine mostly too clean up the galvanized parts and stuff that sand blasting will do more harm than good.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
krovel
5 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 11:34:11 pm »

i got the small sandblast bucket from harbor freight. my compressor is very small but it seemed to work pretty good just really slow. But do make sure the compressor comes with some kind of water trap/dryer. it does make things clump and not want to spray correctly.

i just used sand and charcoal never soda. but ai know the sand and charcoal did not like the dampness.

good luck

Westinghouse WB-60 (single select)
Westinghouse WB102
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: