SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 02:04:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleanup VS repaint  (Read 16404 times)
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 07:11:12 pm »

Magic Erasers are basically 3000 grit wet/dry. They will work on most anything just soap and water clean everything first. A piece of sand or metal caught in the ME will scratch.
Creighton
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 08:48:02 pm »

There use to a old thread that Moondawg posted on and used some type of cleaner that will help the white painted area and that rust.. I'm sure he'll chime in. You will be surprised how that will clean up.

Here's a machine that came in today.
     Sprayed some of this "Rustmort" on the rust area, let it soak, scrubbed then rinsed.

Glen
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 09:29:32 pm »

holy cow. Is that a local sale item? It is at summit racing, but I want to try that tomorrow!!

Tim
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 12:40:13 am »

Wow, those photos should be on the commercial for Rustmort!  Going to pick up some of that for the next machine, thanks Glen

msanborn
25 Cent Member

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 05:23:45 am »

I agree, that looks great

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
davin72
10 Cent Member

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 09:02:47 am »

@davin, they use it on the wood or the glass or chrome?

Mostly use it on the control panels and the sides of the machines. It will do wonders on the control panel cause most of that is just oil and dirt from peoples hands over the years.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2012, 10:29:48 am »

Wow, those photos should be on the commercial for Rustmort! 

Better yet, maybe we should re-label this stuff in 2oz bottles
and sell it online. biggrin

I was asked in an PM to detail application, but I'll explain it here.

This product is made to neutralize rust before painting and it seems to just suck it right out of the pores and up onto the surface. Works best on white and won't hurt color but it will stain if left on too long.
     Spray it or dab it on, I watch it work for about 20 minutes, brushing it gently and then rinse. I try not to rub directly on the painted letters, and just let the chemicals do the work.
      Keep in mind the white paint is pretty thin after all these years so excess rubbing on a stubborn spot, or buffing should be done with care. I always experiment on a small section on the back of each machine to start.
     Since this project will require such a small amount of material, there is plenty left in the bottle for other uses like rust on chrome or fasteners, and especially the surface rust on the floor of inner linners.

Glen
msanborn
25 Cent Member

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2012, 02:57:15 pm »

Thanks, I ordered up a bottle, will see how it goes. 

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 08:13:01 pm »

Got it in the mail today, I'm not expecting miracles cause the one i'm doing is a little worse then yours to start, but I'm hopeful for the price.

Tim
wee
10 Cent Member

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 07:34:40 pm »

Is it OK to get it on the gaskets.....?  I think that stuff would do wonders for my 80....It is showing alittle rust on the white but not near that bad....O'Raileys Auto parts carry it in my area....Just to be sure the number on the bottle is 69508 correct....?

Thank you for the tip Moondawg....

Brian
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: