SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 09:03:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: compressor not running  (Read 3902 times)
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« on: October 17, 2006, 06:50:01 pm »

Hi guys,

Until just now I figured my machine just needed a shot of R-12.. but I touched the compressor and it doesn't even get warm or vibrate !

Both fans are running.. the bottom one turns on and off with the thermostat correctly..  just no compressor..

Where do I start looking to correct this ?  Also is it possible to repair without removing the compressor deck ?  (I had it out once and never thought to check.. now the machine is fully assembled again)

Chris
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 06:52:56 pm »

Well I did some research from old posts here and DIY fridge repair and located the problem..  a bad start relay.. (no power to the start terminal)

I will get a picture tomorrow and maybe Eric can fix me up with a suitable replacement..

I rigged up a compresor test cord (below) and low and behold the compressor hums into action ! I left it running a few mins and the coils started to frost up..  so next I plugged in the machine so the fans would run.. (I should add here I wrapped up all the loose connections securely with electrical tape first!)

Well after about 15mins I had it down to 35F (1C) and the thermostat kicked off and shut off the lower fan..   left it another minute or two and the temperate dropped to freezing point..  at which point I turned everything off..

All this time I was worried the machine would need major work to get it cooling and it was the relay !

I must say I was expecting the overload to be fried, but it's working just fine..  (should I replace it anyway ?)

This is where I found the info for the test cord: Appliance Aid

Tip: quick disconnect terminals like those used in the jones harness work great for connecting the compressor terminals..

Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 07:11:17 pm »

Update.. the relay looks just like this one:
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 07:57:11 pm »

Well it must've been just a bad connection, because a replaced a couple of terminals and everything fires up normally now !
Yarochrehc
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 08:50:56 pm »

Chris, glad to see that you didn't have a major problem with the condensor, also that is a good internet site to get info from.

Bob

Restored
Vendo H63B  Coke in use in basement
Original
Vendo V/VF63/7  Pepsi in use

Restoring: Glascock Standard
(2) Vendo 63
(2)Vendo 90
Vendo 126  waiting for paint
VMC 56
Westinghouse WE-6
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 09:21:43 pm »

Thanks Bob.. this place is ones of the best resources there are for soda machines.. if not *the* best..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: