SMC Discussion Areas
May 12, 2024, 09:11:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Westinghouse WH-23D  (Read 3108 times)
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« on: June 15, 2008, 06:10:15 am »

I am going to look at a Westinghouse WH-23D today.  It looks to be in good shape from the picture and it has the optional illuminated sign in working condition.  My plan is to use it for a back bar when I finish my basement.  I know it is big and I know it is probably very heavy but here are my questions:

1.  The guy wants $400 but I am planning on offering $300.  In good working order does that seem like a good price?

2.  As far as compressors, etc. . . can current items available be used to replace/update the workings on these machines?

Thanks!

And I will post pictures if I get it!

Tim
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 07:10:10 am »

A back-bar cooler is a perfect ( and intended) use for these larger machines, in so far as he compressor question, yes, a modern replacement (the compressor deck assy.) will adapt quite nicely into this machine if it should need one now or down the road.

pricing; I'd offer $200-300 for such a large 3-door machine, less if it's not an embossed model like this one ( WH23D), & especially less if the sliding tops are dented ( way less!) because even in a back-bar insatlation as you have planed, it still has to look nice. & i'd make sure it has it's vertical dividers & bottom spacers ( the bottom spacers form part of the return air path for the cooling system, without them, the far-end of the cooler will run much warmer than the near/evaporator end)

Good luck & I hope it's on ground level for you ( I wouldn't want to huff it up a set of cellar stairs)  biggrin

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 11:19:17 am »

johnieg,

Thanks for the tips.  The machine is in decent shape but the bottom spacers were missing and the cooling system would not fire up.  I am going to pass on this one.

Thanks again!

Tim

I took a few pictures that I will post once I get them off of my phone.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 07:11:35 pm »

Nuts! a bad compressor huh? Well I have a Westinghouse Giant chest that could use a good home, contact me if you like some pic's or come on up from Hell. Michigan to Waterford for a looksee.  biggrin  I sent  you a Personal message too.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: