SMC Discussion Areas
May 11, 2024, 01:15:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Westinghouse Vend Motor  (Read 38947 times)
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2012, 01:02:55 pm »

Machine just got painted by someone my uncle knows. Apparently he has restored a few himself and it looks really good. Can't wait to see it this Friday
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2012, 03:11:42 pm »

don't forget to post pictures!

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2012, 06:40:49 pm »

don't forget to post pictures!

Oh believe me, I will. I'll probably just wait until everything is done though, simpler that way
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2012, 09:37:34 pm »

Worked on the machine again today and saw it for the first time after being sprayed. It's not a "professional" job but compared to what it used to look like, I couldn't  be happier. You can finally see yourself in the reflection and with the new white as well... wow.

Replaced the power cord (could there be any more wires in that little compartment on the compressor!?), reinstalled the bottle opener, coin return, and lock, prepared the silk screen to reapply the appropriate names above, had to mess with the adjustable arm/rod on the inside of the door to hit all selections, and installed a new drain pipe.

My uncle found lights that would fit inside the provided sockets and with us both being interested to see what they looked like, as well as see if our new cord was installed properly, decided to plug it in. I was told to "watch for any sparks near the compressor" and was relieved when it kicked right on and was humming like new. However, when the lights didn't turn on and he lifted the drink selector to fiddle them around, one of the wires arched and flames started shooting up the side, and I mean flames. Luckily he was aware enough to unplug it after a second or two and the whole thing didn't go up. We were also lucky that the damage was very minimal and most of it was just smoke damage. Funny now but scary then!

Even after that fiasco, I'm thinking it should be done either this upcoming weekend or next
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2012, 11:08:50 pm »

you probably arced a ballast, which is why the light didn't work in the first place, very common, take notes folks...thoroughly go over the entire machines wiring top to bottom especially were it enters any electrical device or connection/junction block, etc. these puppies are 40+ years old & wires get brittle & fray...safety first.

I'd gut the lightup ballasts & harness & use an off the shelf florescent under-counter light to back-light the marquee, it's cheaper than replacing the ballasts & starters just slice it into the lightup signs feed socket.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2012, 12:04:33 am »

you probably arced a ballast, which is why the light didn't work in the first place, very common, take notes folks...thoroughly go over the entire machines wiring top to bottom especially were it enters any electrical device or connection/junction block, etc. these puppies are 40+ years old & wires get brittle & fray...safety first.

I'd gut the lightup ballasts & harness & use an off the shelf florescent under-counter light to back-light the marquee, it's cheaper than replacing the ballasts & starters just slice it into the lightup signs feed socket.

This wasn't the marquee actually, it was the "sold out" and "exact change only" lights. Regardless, like you said, it was enough to do another pass over to see if there were any visible exposed wires
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2012, 11:31:06 pm »

Just about finished it today. Sprayed the delivery chute and back of the door panel black to dress them up and cover the imperfections. Put a few more screws around the inside liner to reduce the waviness and replaced some of the older tape with new black duct tape. Had the whole thing buffed and a new light socket put in. Going to finish the shaft vend (replacement for vend motor) either tomorrow or Sunday
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2012, 12:01:14 am »

Well, officially done. Finished up the last of it yesterday and couldn't be happier.

Finally got the lights to work, although it wasn't through the "original means." Somewhere along the endless feet of wiring there was a problem, so, despite the sockets having power, they weren't getting the signal to come on. Rather than spend hours trying to trace the problem, just figured it was easier to rig them to their own power cable which comes out at the top of the machine and runs down the back. It is admittedly less than desirable seeing another cord but having them on all the time adds to the look and helps to ensure no more fires!

Got the crank assembly finished as well. Could have been done a while ago but it was just easier to wait until it was refinished. All that was left to do was cut the rod to length, thread it, and attach the knob. Good to go.

Should be moving it in over Thanksgiving break at which point, pictures will soon be up.
Fire708
25 Cent Member

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2012, 10:20:14 pm »

I missed something. Did you get the motor working or did you fabricate something for replacement?
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2012, 12:30:35 am »

I missed something. Did you get the motor working or did you fabricate something for replacement?

No, no luck on the motor unfortunately. I fabricated something to make it vend by turning a knob. Honestly, it was a pretty simple solution, just need the right tools
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: