SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 05:48:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1959 Chevrolet Apache  (Read 11054 times)
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« on: September 21, 2009, 10:08:19 am »

Been doing some thinking lately (uh-oh!) and have come to the conclusion that I would like to buy an old truck and restore it. I've always wanted to restore an old vehicle of some kind with a late 50's-mid 60's VW Bug being first on the list because of my history with them in my family.

But, I also really like the body styles on the 50's trucks from various manufactuers and have settled on the 1959 Chevy Apache. Preferrably with a stepside, short bed but I don't mind the long bed either. If it had the wrap-around back window I would consider that a bonus.

What do you guys think about that choice of truck? Thoughts, concerns, anything?

Brian
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 10:32:22 am »

The Apache is tied with the Ford F100's of the 50's, in my heart and mind, either has a cool factor that is off the charts, repro parts are readily available. A 40's or 50's PU is on my wishlist.

Unless you're  totally set on a pickup, also consider a sedan delivery. Just my 2 cents   

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 10:48:17 am »

I like it.  It reminds me of my Uncles truck back in the seventies down south.  Not sure what he had, but I always liked the fifties look in cars and trucks.

A lot of stuff.
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 12:39:37 pm »

I love the Apaches but like most old trucks they don't have any resale value. If I bought one I would either buy one already restored or in top condition. You can find cars and trucks with $30,000-$50,000 in a restoration for sale for $15,000-$30,000. It might take awhile to find one but you can. My brother has a shop full of old 50-60's VW's and 2-1940 Ford Trucks. He hasn't done anything with them for 20+ years. The 40 Fords are about the most desirable trucks but still don't bring big money when restored. You might want to call my brother and talk to him if you want a VW.
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 05:56:20 pm »

Yeah, I have to agree, buy one already restored.

Also, No resale value in these old things. Unless you start looking a the 69-72 cheyenne. For some reason they have a following. There prices top out in the high teens, low twenties.

I traded out my new chevy Silverado for a 1972 Cheyenne and I have to say it was the best decision I have made lately. Easier to repair and much less expensive. Whenever I need a change I can update the truck. And best of all, it is really cool to pick-up my most recent find in this old truck.

I like the pictures of the Apache you posted. Great looking truck.
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 05:59:57 pm »

Oh yeah. My truck isn't worth a darn because I bought the one I wanted so I could use it to haul stuff in, a long bed fleet side. If it were short bed step side it would be worth twice as much.
FatRavioli69

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 06:25:53 pm »

My friend just bought an old 1950 F1 that somebody turned into a wrecker years ago.

Not really going to go for a full resto, but get the brakes and lights working and drive it.

Selectivend and Counting
pinballdude
25 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 10:18:06 pm »

Talk about cool factor off the charts!!!!!
LOL!!!
Terry
cokemachinesandmore
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 10:33:39 pm »

i have a '51 and '52 chevy deluxe cab pickups.  one shortbed one long bed. one has original 6 cyl, other 327 w/400 trans. both projects.  sell them cheap.
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 11:23:48 pm »

I would love to have a stock Model T pick-up but for something more recent I have always been a fan of the GMC Handi-van and the Corvair Greenbrier.  I know--unsafe at any speed--but still cool! Cool

drinking Tim drinking
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: