SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 01:54:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1967 MGB Roadster  (Read 4701 times)
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« on: January 26, 2013, 07:21:43 pm »

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/3566510961.html

Well Linda wants one of these. I restored a British car years ago and didn't find the experience all that much fun.

Think 3k would save this? Would it be worth 2k when done :-)

Any chance a Ford 289 with Webers and 4 speed toploader would fit or just twist the car like a pretzel under hard throttle?

Thanks!
Creighton
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 09:34:31 pm »

Ah...something about which I can converse!!!

Sadly, it looks very much looks like a parts car. 

Fixing it up right would probably run you $7-$10k, unless you really enjoy doing your own paint/body work.  It probably needs new floorboards and boot panels as well as everything missing/rotten in the pics, plus engine (transmission?) interior... etc etc etc.

A V8 can be stuffed under the bonnet if you want to get really crazy.  The Buick 308 is a popular motor.  The other worry of sticking a big lump in it would be the rear end.  Something out of a 'vette or an S10 pickup are popular replacements.   Check out this site:  http://www.fastcarsinc.com/mgbv8.htm

A very good friend of mine just put a fuel injected Camaro V6 in his MGB-GT.  It fit like a dream.  I've had the pleasure of taking a few years off my life in that beastie.   oh

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
oldskoolcoinop
10 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 09:54:26 pm »

I drive a 1980 MGB every day. I agree with what jholmorgan said. You can find a driving project for a pretty reasonable price. Fun cars when the weather is right Smiley
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 10:58:14 pm »

Thanks Guys!!
Thought we had some MGB fans on the board.

Processing this:
Do we have more than $500 in parts here? I would think the wheels alone are worth close to that.
Think I'll go take a look see. Not wanting insane fast, just quick enough to handle freeway speeds with minor worries.
7K min yikes, What does a decent restored example sell for? With non-standard motor etc.. I know that is hard to define.

Running and driveable MGB's are very scarce in the Pacific NW. Roads/weather  just suck here so not much availability on sports cars.
Thanks!
Creighton

jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 10:11:51 am »

I think you'd be safe to say there's around $500 in parts there.  The wire wheels could be worth that, but it really depends on their condition.  There's a few places out there that will refurb them for you if needed.  If there is a serviceable transmission, you've got a couple hundred, maybe a usable gas tank another hundred or so, looks like the bumpers are there, windshield etc.   Frame and interior condition is unknown.

You've got a great source for new parts in your neck of the woods.  I buy a fair amount from British Parts Northwest.  Good people.  http://www.bpnorthwest.com/   There are several other big names out there (Moss Motors, Victoria British) and a good network of "Mom and Pop" places that are selling good used parts as well.  Best bet is to find yourself a local Brit car club and pick their brains.

I'm more of a Triumph Spitfire guy myself.  (my personal website:  http://www.littlebluespitfire.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=30 )  but I'm not a snob when it comes to British cars - I like 'em all!

Even with the original motor, you can get up and going on the interstates without too much hassle.  These little cars are 'quick' and handle like they are on rails.  I put an Overdrive transmission in my Spit - I can cruise the highway all day with the original 1500 cc motor.  70MPH at 3 grand on the tach.    I did convert it to UK Spec:  dual HS4's and a 4-2-1 header, but the motor is still an inline 4 and it's no faster than the factory put out in '75.  Probably around 75 horses tops.   The biggest concern in driving one of these on the major roads is other drivers not seeing you.   down   It's very similar to driving a motorcycle, you have to be a defensive driver.  Fortunately the horns are pretty loud.   smile

Decent restored value - hard to say as you mention.  If it is a well done job, I'd say in the 10k-15k range is a rough ballpark.  British cars are like most Coke machines, you generally won't get out of them what you put into them and you should always buy the nicest example you can afford to start a project. 

I've probably got $12k (+)  in my '75 Spit over the past 10 years.  I would jump at an offer of $10k for it, but realistically would be lucky to get $7,500 for it - and it's fully restored.  That said - chrome bumper MGB's are a bit more valuable on the market than a square-tail Spitfire.

Good luck - and if you have any other questions, or want to send me some pics, feel free! 

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
magcag01

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 12:32:16 pm »

These cars always turn into more work than you think. You fix one thing and find something else wrong. I had a '67 MGB, and
now have a '72 Triumph TR6 I am doing a frame off rottisserie restoration on. But fun cars to drive, a hobby if you will. You'll
always be tinkering with em. The British owners pie chart, 20% of time fixing oil leaks, 30% of time fixing electrical,15% of time
waiting for parts, 20% of time tuning carbs,15% driving ,lol. Don't know if you like the TR6, but here a link to 2 in your area. Guys
drop V8s in these also. Theres a site-  British V-8 .org with some cars with mods.Good luck in your search.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph-TR-6-Convertible-Early-Triumph-TR6-Two-For-One-Special-/221180933097?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item337f6933e9

Cavalier C-51 (restored)
Westy WE-6
Stoner 120
1972 Triumph TR-6 (in restoration)
1955 Seeburg 100JL
1959 Seeburg 222
1953 Seeburg HF100G
Kapri
5 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 06:45:47 pm »

You can get virtualy any part new over here in england, even new bodyshells. looking at it though, it's probably not worth doing.
A lot of work, & when it's all done, you'll probably be disapointed in its performance.
There's always plenty over here for sale, probably the most common old car on British roads, so if you really want one, it'd make sence to import a good one. Only problem would be the right hand drive.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 11:40:00 pm »

Just to close this. Thanks for all the advice. Filed away for another day.
Seller was rather difficult to deal with.
A picture of the interior without the blue blanket covering it and a phone call to discuss were outside his comfort zone???
Such a shame people get a decent car. Tear all the trim off, loose half of it park it outside and 15 yrs later decide to sell.
Get mad when it doesn't get Barret Jackass price.

Then the other end is Grandma with a mint low mile example of a POS car.
Oh well, search continues.
Thanks again!
Creighton

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 09:43:10 am »

Such a shame people get a decent car. Tear all the trim off, loose half of it park it outside and 15 yrs later decide to sell.
Get mad when it doesn't get Barret Jackass price.

I'd say this applies to old soda machines as well!   biggrin

Glen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: