SMC Discussion Areas
May 02, 2024, 11:12:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $100,000 baseball card found in Maine.  (Read 3249 times)
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« on: January 10, 2013, 05:25:49 pm »

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/brooklyn-atlantics-1865-baseball-card-auction-could-ferch-164754590--mlb.html

The last rare card they auctioned got $72,000... It was fun to be there watching it get auctioned off.

Tim
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 06:04:06 pm »

Tim, are you the unidentified man who bought the box of Coke bottles and the baseball pic? Come out with it now. You were there watching it get auctioned off AND an unidentified man in Maine buying bottles at a yard sale....too much adding up just right here.

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 06:20:49 pm »

Ya, I wish!! But, I couldn't fv(k someone like that. I would have to cut them in.

The last one that sold for $72000 is sort of a scandal around here. The lot got almost $100,000. The "local picker" that is not being identified doesn't want his name out their because he basically stole them from an elderly lady. He knew what they were, not the top dollar for the one, but he took advantage of an old lady. He will never get into another house for a pick if anyone finds out who it is. She is a nice old lady that needed the money. I would gladly break his windows and slash his tires time and time again if I find out who it is... Don't be a scumbag..

Tim
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 07:04:52 pm »

Yeah. I'd have to give the original owner a share.
Do you think the person who bought it at the yard sale knew what it was when he bought it, or found out later?

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 07:30:56 pm »

Yeah. I'd have to give the original owner a share.
Do you think the person who bought it at the yard sale knew what it was when he bought it, or found out later?

They said it was bought in a group of old photos. I would think it was no intent there and was just a yard sale find of a photo collector or reseller. I'm ok if you don't know yourself, and the one still to be auctioned looks more like a group photo then a baseball card. I have seen hundreds of those that are worth between $50-200. This happems to be the one off of the first baseball team ever.

I have an 1880's or 1890's cdv of an Native American baseball player. The first Native American pro was from maine, but I can't prove either way if its him or not. There are only a handful of pictures of him, and a new one would be BANK!! It came in a box of postcards I bought at auction, so there's no guilt if I hit the jackpot!

I have contacted a couple of people who do facial recognition for courts, but they need several photos of the person and a very large check!! I tried the "History Detectives" with no luck. Until I get to the baseball hall of fame and let them check it out, it's just some hidden history.

Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: