SMC Discussion Areas
May 06, 2024, 07:54:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 77  (Read 4518 times)
James Hoffa

« on: October 18, 2013, 10:34:46 pm »

Hello,

So I'm new to the hobby and looking to purchase my first machine. Came across this one on the internet. Its missing a few shelves, but cools nicely. Cosmetic scratches and dings, surface rust. Not sure if the mech works - the red switch in the middle seems to continuously cycle in one position and stop in the other. It must be on free-vend at the moment but I'm unsure how to take it off to test the mech.  The seller listed at $385 but offered to sell to me for $300. From what I read on here, practically any machine that cools is in the 200-300 price range. How difficult would it be to get replacement shelving and other parts? Is this model difficult to restore? What could it be worth after restoration? Does anything else stick out from the pictures that a green horn would miss? Thanks guys and I look forward to getting in to this hobby.

Vendo V-77
Lacrossa 90-9
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 10:42:13 pm »

The problem that you would have with a 77 is that it's not that common.  The shelves, coin door, marquee are all wider than the much more common 63/90 so you might have a tough time finding replacements for it.  They are also a bit heavier than the 63, so that's a factor when/if you decide to restore.

The 'updated' decals are something else, I've never seen that before!  Hopefully they'd just peel off.

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 09:33:24 am »

Welcome to the site Jimmy!  biggrin

As with all old machines, that coin mech needs to be updated anyways, it is junk.

As Tom stated, you will likely have to make your own shelves.

What you read into this site was that only 'complete and working' machines are worth $200 to $300.

Seller only states asking price, it's the marketplace that determines actual value and he will not get $200 if it's missing shelves.

Finally, it is a very nice machine as is, just peel off the decals....... the value will not go any higher after restoration.

Glen
James Hoffa

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 09:04:13 pm »

Thanks for the advice guys! I passed along the information and made the seller an offer at $140 which I thought was fair. He agreed to it and I picked the machine up today. I'm happy to have my first machine but I'm not sure what I'll do to it just yet. I'll probably start reading up on the forums. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 06:09:28 am by James Hoffa » Logged

Vendo V-77
Lacrossa 90-9
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 10:29:11 pm »

Really like the proportions of that machine.  Have not seen it before which makes it unique and interesting, but also makes it difficult to find parts.  Welcome to the site and good luck with your first machine!

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 08:54:33 am »

Heavy too isn't it... I had one once as I liked the size but man for the size of it its a beast!

Good luck on your restoration. Have fun take lots of photos of your teardown and you'll be just fine!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 10:27:51 am »

Never seen that on for sale before either. If it works and you get it for $200 or less you cant go wrong.  I would not restore it.  It looks good as is.

Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: