SMC Discussion Areas
May 15, 2024, 01:08:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideal 55 Oil Amount?  (Read 2342 times)
sjo426

« on: July 25, 2012, 02:56:13 pm »

I've searched the site thinking I should be able to find this information, but unfortunately I'm not 100% confident.

First time restoring a soda machine and I'm learning a lot, my auto restoration experience is a help with most items, but the refrigeration part is pretty new. So last night I was removing the compressor, fan, condenser from the base so I can get everything cleaned up and painted when a few ounces of oil spilled out on to the table. So this reminded me I need to get more information on the oil.........I plan on vacumming the system and re-charging with Freeze 12 (not sure how much freon to put in either), but not sure how much oil, what type of oil, and really even where to put it in. Do I just buy the Freeze 12 with oil or does it need to be a separate oil?

You guys will probably ask about compressor details, but unfortunately (as seen in my other thread) the tag is about 60% eroded completely away. I'm 99% sure it is the original compressor due to the fact that I got it from a friend who says he had the machine for 30+ years.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!
MrMark

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 04:54:18 pm »

From my old books for that compressor, it's 22 ozs of oil.

All of the pancake compressor units I have worked on state 16 oz charge for R-12.

Do you have a micron gauge to measure vacuum? You need to make sure you get down and hold 500 microns or less, particularly since you've had the system open for a number of days/weeks. And be sure to put a new drier on it.

As opposed to a car A/C, water is far more destructive in a hermetic system than automotive. The water causes acid, which then eats at the windings, which causes a short/compressor burnout. In a car, all the moisture tends to do is freeze in the expansion device as the car is often in the junk yard before the other destructive issues occur.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: