SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 12:10:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Water fountain  (Read 4270 times)
96C
« on: September 04, 2007, 09:39:42 am »

Hi folks,

I'm new here so I have a question for those with more experience.  The Cav 96C squaretop I bought to restore came with holes for a stainless steel water fountain in the right side (looking at the front of the machine) and was originally in a school.  I was thinking of finding one to put back on it, since the holes (four of them) are already there.

Will the fountain hurt or help my efforts to restore?  Anyone have one laying around?  What kind of parts are required to put one back in the machine?  How much should I pay for one?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 10:30:24 am »

I personally don't like the water fountain as it was not original on the machine... I'd restore without it...
Just thoughts

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 10:38:11 am »

There is also a problem with them in that if you turn the T-stat too low the water line will freeze and leak. If I set my temperature too low, it will freeze the water bottles. You also need to have a drain set up or have it located where you don't mind the water running out - limits the locations that you put it.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 12:55:44 pm »

The water fountain was never an original part of the machine, so if you are restoring it , I'd leave it out of the equation. they leak, the cause rust, & if you really think about it back in the day, you'd be selling less soda, not the best idea. and as previously mentioned, without a proper drain, they'd be piddling water all over the floor/ground.  I'd go for an old iron-base (pedistal) water fountian like they had in my grade schools playground lot, that would be cool.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
BryanH
Soda Jerks

Sweatin' in Arizona... but it's a dry heat!

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 01:40:37 pm »

Will the fountain hurt or help my efforts to restore?  Anyone have one laying around?  What kind of parts are required to put one back in the machine?  How much should I pay for one?
Welcome Dan.. you'll find them for sale on ebay once in awhile - usually between $20 - $30... Personally, I pull them off any machine I get and sell them and restore the machine w/o them. 

Thanks, Bryan
   Cavalier USS-96: unrestored, working on the back patio
   CV VUB/C 8-91: a fantasy restoration?
   GE Cooler: in pieces, my next project
96C
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 02:37:53 pm »

Thanks for the input.  It looks like there are a lot of negatives and not really any positives.  Sounds like I'm better off just patching the holes and getting her back to original condition.

I'm glad I've stumbled onto this site.  I have lots of questions and am jazzed to start restoring this, my first machine.  I can already see that you all  offer a wealth of information.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 01:56:10 pm »

Dan, Welcome to the site... great bunch of guys that can help you out...
Let's see some pictures of that machine you got... we love looking at photos.. especially before and after photos...

Good luck!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: