SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 01:29:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whiny/grindy noise from the compressor area....  (Read 7921 times)
cokentn
« on: December 12, 2007, 09:47:08 am »

K, all was well until last nite. I had the coke machine plugged in for 24 hours and late last nite, it started making a funny whiny, grindy sorta noise from the compressor area. I unplugged it, and this morning, it still makes the same noise. I'm afraid to leave it on. It's unplugged.
I need to put it in my sig, I guess. It's a 1971 Cornelius, pix in the gallery. Not many of em made, apparantly. Cornelius don't even have a record of em.
Now what guys?
Thanks!
Mark
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 09:52:53 am »

Unplug the fan motor to confirm if the fan is the problem. If so a new fan motor is a cheap fix at about 25 bucks.

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
cokentn
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 09:56:57 am »

K..fan motor..new guy here. is that from the back? bottom?
This is hard without a manual. If I had amanual, I'd launch a rocket. I'm good with instructions and some common sense. I really haven't got my hands into it yet. The fan should be pretty easily found. biggrin
Thanks!
Mark
I like 25 bucks repair..
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 10:01:25 am »

Mark

I'm sure Terry will put it much more elegantly but the compressor fan sits infront of the grill radiator thingy.

The motor is the round thing that sits on the back of the fan. It should have two wires attached that will go to your compressor unit. I recently bought a soda machine and my fan motor was shot... As Terry says its a simple fix. We'll keep our fingers crossed that this is the problem..

Dave
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 11:49:18 am »

With the machine unplugged, use a rag and lightly stuff it into the fanblade.
When you plug it in you hear only the compressor running. If you don't hear the
same noise......pull the rag to let the fanblade free and you will.

Glen
cokentn
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 06:33:52 pm »

Got home and checked it out. Back to front is a big barrel shaped thing, space, fan, radiator thing with coils. I can see the fan from the back, barely enuf room to stuff a rag in there, but I can. I feel like that is what the prob is.
Do you remove all that radiator to get to the fan? The fan is sandwiched between the barrel thing and the radiator coils.
Thanks,
Mark
Pat Pixley
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 06:48:52 pm »

Hey Mark can you snap a photo of the compressor area ?
Camel24hrs
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 09:32:27 pm »

Mark,  That barrel thingy is your compressor.  The coils are your condenser.  The fan is in the middle.  No, you cannot remove your condenser unless you evacuate all your freon and unsweat the lines. ( bad choice).  reach and grab the wires on your fan.  Follow it back toward your compressor.  You will come to a place where there is a plug in the middle of the wire.  Unplug it there and then plug your box back up and check for noise. 
cokentn
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 09:45:11 pm »

Ok, yea I will snap a pic tomorrow.
That layout you said sounds right. So, let's say it's diagnosed as the fan motor. HOw do I remove the fan from between the condensor and the compressor without removing either. ON second look, it looks like all three components sit on sort of a sled. The sled looks like it would slide in and out in grooves made into the base of the machine. That's what it LOOKS like. Is that a possibility? A standard setup?
Thanks!
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 10:50:52 pm »

The sled looks like it would slide in and out in grooves made into the base of the machine. That's what it LOOKS like. Is that a possibility? A standard setup?

Usually that is the way it works - You can loosen a few bolts to get it into a workable position. You need to get it in a position where you can access the compressor terminal cover and the fan motor bracket. Careful not to bend the refrigeration lines too much!

Usually, I replace both the evap and condenser fan motors at the same time - you are already half way there with either.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: