SMC Discussion Areas
May 02, 2024, 11:02:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wierd piece making noise  (Read 9611 times)
dragrocker
« on: December 04, 2006, 01:59:15 am »

first i want to say any info is greatly appreciated. i picked up a maching last week for my garage. i plug it in and everything gets 'cool' but nowhere near cold. about every minute or so i hear this clicking sound..kinda like a relay or contact clicking a couple times really fast.

so i find the piecet that is making the noise. its a 1" diamater piece on the side of the compressor that is open on the back (and the open piece is pushed up against the compressor body itself). 2 wires go to it and if you look into the open side there is a metal looking plate. every minute or so it would click and ark inside of this piece. i am an electrician and i have never seen a piece like this before or have any idea what it does lol. i can get a pic tomorrow if needed. my machine is the usual 80-90s style pepsi machine. i hope someone can help me . thanks again in advance
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 02:05:17 am »

Welcome to the board dragrocker! A picture and any info on the model of machine will help.
Creighton
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 02:48:08 am »

Sounds like the compressor is short cycling..  that peice you are reffering to is an overload cutout..  kills power to the compressor if it draws too much current or overheats..
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 08:51:43 pm »

(Skeleton Man @ Dec. 04 2006,2:48)
Sounds like the compressor is short cycling..  that peice you are reffering to is an overload cutout..  kills power to the compressor if it draws too much current or overheats..

It's basically a circut breaker, also known by the sound it makes (as you've discovered!) a " Clik-it"

As "Skeleton Man" has pointed out, if the compressor is loaded by too much head pressure (overcharged) it will pull too much current the little disk inside the safety overload device will warp & "pop" up & open the circut until it cools enough then it will reset with a
"Clik-it" sound, at which point your compressor will attempt to start again, ( or just hums & overheats again)

it will also do this if the system is undercharged (not enough freon to keep the compressor cool) or if the compressor is feeling it's age & is stuggling to keep running from a worn piston. sticky rings, stuck valves & restrictions in the lines ( kinks & crushed tubing) so it may just be a crushed line, a kinked tube thats been bent too far, so I'd go over the lines & look for the obvious things. it could just be a bad "Clik-it" itself

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
dragrocker
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 01:33:14 am »

awesome guys. thank you very much for the info, sounds like you know what im talking about. i am going to look for any kinks ect. where can i find one of those parts? and if thats not it i will try to charge it, the only problem....maybe its me  lol, but i dont see where you charge it at. i looked all over and dont see a spot. also are these machines r12? and is charging it something i can do myself. i figured i would start with the cheap pieces and move on from there. its killing me , i bought this for a cool addition to the garage (im out there all the time trying to finish building my truck) and i can use it lol . thanks agian guys
dragrocker
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 01:34:24 am »

also when i first plug it in it will start to do this in like 20 seconds. it doesnt take a while, right off the bat
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 07:16:25 am »

Dragrocker -

The overload switch "Clik-it" can be found at your local (if you have one) refrigeration supply store or through Granger (catalog/internet sales)

As far as filling goes. Unless your system has been re-charged before which it sounds like it hasn't, you would find a small capped valve with a brass cap on it. This is a Schrader Valve.

When these compressor decks come from the factory they come as a closed loop sealed unit. They are filled and not left with a way to re-charge unless a tap valve is added. When they do need filling either a clamp-on self piercing tap valve (not recommended, leaks to easily) or a soldered in "T" with a filling valve for either R-12 or R-134 or whatever your deck was originally charged with.

As a first timer, I would consult/use a licensed refrigeration tech. The cost of the required tools (Vacuum pump, Gauge Set, Refrigeration Scale, Soldering Tools) is not cheap.

The money would be better spent having a local tech fix it or sending it to Eric at Global Compressors in So. Texas. He doesn't charge an arm and a leg and he does great work (specializes in soda pop machines). His number and his website info is listed in a banner ad at the top left of your screen. Give him a call, tell him your problem and he won't steer you wrong! Good luck and let us know how things turn out!

Brian
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 10:15:42 am »

If it does not even build up pressure or overheat then the overload itself may to blame.  You may wish to bypass it and install a modern 3 in 1 start relay.

Glen
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 07:17:59 pm »

I was going to suggest temporarilly bypassing the overload, but if there really is a problem that would likely pop a fuse/breaker...
dragrocker
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 03:11:57 pm »

well o.k. here i stand lol. i put in the new overload from sodajerk..here is the link..  http://www.sodajerkworks.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=655&cat=8&page=1

but as soon as i plug it in it still pops and arcs, and keeps doing it about every 30seconds or so.  i know some say it could be the compressor and some say it could just be low on freon. i just want to get this fixed with out spending houndreds and houndreds lol. just want to see what you guys think . i greatly appreciate it
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: