SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 12:04:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which thermostat is better non-contact or contact  (Read 4568 times)
LEDCREATIONS
5 Cent Member

« on: March 13, 2012, 02:13:55 pm »

I need a new thermostat for a glasco gbv-50 and was wondering what would be best for this unit. The old one makes contact with a copper tube on the liner. Reason why I question this is because the old thermostat would shut off once it got the slightlest cold and would not turn back on until it was completely warm again.

I was thinking of drilling a small hole in the liner and running the 42 non contact thermostat sensing wire into the cooler to get a true cooling reading. Should I do this or just get the 9 contact thermostat and place in it the same copper tube like designed. Thanks for any help
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 04:53:24 pm »

Sometimes that tube doesn't measure temperature right. Before you replace your T/S, set it inside the box with the cap tube between the slider rack and the wall, with the wire leading outside to the junction box. If it works there, then punch a hole and lead the cap tube to where it is happy.

Glen
Grey Wolf

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 11:38:53 pm »

I am curios about this too.  My Ideal 85 is doing the same thing, and I was thinking I had to replace the thermostat.  If this is a viable solution, I would consider doing this.
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 12:36:23 pm »

I repaired my brother n laws sky box machine and bought a digital thermostat and used it. My ideal 35 needs a new thermostat I have not thought using a digital .do you think it would be a good idea and I could put it underneath out of site.

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest
early model Stoner jr.
Stoner theaters
Thanks Jeff
LEDCREATIONS
5 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 04:30:23 pm »

I talked to a lady at fun-tronics about which one was better to use. She stated her husband rebuild many sliders and had issues like this. She said the non contact 42" thermostat was the better and to run the sensing tube into the liner through the door breaker strip , coil it around and place it under the storage self. Im going to try this method.
Another option they do is mount the thermostat inside the cooler instead of outside.
Ill let everyone know if the issue continues.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: