SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 04:44:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo V-90 Compressor question  (Read 6413 times)
mllaugh3
5 Cent Member

« on: July 14, 2010, 07:02:13 am »

When I plugged in my V-90 after sitting unplugged for a while the compressor seemed to have difficulty kicking in.  After several tries the compressor finally started and seems to be working fine.  I cycled it for a couple of hours and it kick on and off normally.  Does anyone know if this is normal?  Is there a problem with the compressor?  Let me know what you think.  Everything is original on the machine.

Mike

Vendo 81D
VMC 139
Few square tops
LaCrosse 7-up
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 11:56:45 am »

Not trying to scare you, but, it sounds like the compressor is nearing the point when it might need a "Hard Start" installed to give it that extra kick if the compressor continues to exhibit the problem of not wanting to turn-over upon plugging it in after sitting non-op for awhile. I would just keep an eye on it.

So, once it was up and running for the couple of hours, did it cool down properly according to how you had the thermostat set? You mentioned that it cycled off and on normally, that sounds good. On most stock, original equip., thermostats there is a small white dot that indicates the normal factory set-point that they have determined is the best for normal operations. But not always.

One thing, to get an accurate assesment of the working condition and capability of your compressor, you need to have the machine fully loaded or as much as possible with bottles. Glass Bottles and the liquid that they hold act as great insulators and will lessen the amount of time you compressor has to run to keep the product cold.

Please let us know what you find out!

Brian
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 12:02:38 pm »

Also if you have the machine on a long extension cord it may not be getting enough current. I have had this problem before and after eliminating the extension cord it fired right up.
mllaugh3
5 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 12:04:43 pm »

Thanks Brian.  I had the thermostat turned to it's coldest setting.  It doesn't appear that this model has a dot were the factory setting is.  Once the compressor kicked on (after about two min of trying) it got very cold and turned off maybe five or ten minutes later.  Once the machine called for cold it kicked right back on and continued to cycle for the next couple of hours.  Hopefully it just needed a chance to get back into the swing of things.

I unplugged it last night and plan on giving her a good bath and waxing tonight then I will put some product in and fire it back up.  I am selling the machine and just want to make sure everything is in working condition.  I will keep you posted.  Thanks again.

Mike

Vendo 81D
VMC 139
Few square tops
LaCrosse 7-up
mllaugh3
5 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 12:07:02 pm »

Leman4ec-  Thanks for that tip.  I did have it plugged into a shop light which has a long cord.  Never that of that.  I will retry with out cord.  That makes sense.  Thanks

Mike

Vendo 81D
VMC 139
Few square tops
LaCrosse 7-up
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 01:15:31 pm »

Cleaning up the contacts on the start/run/common posts, etc. will help insure good contact is being made.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 05:32:39 pm »

Some compressors after sitting a while develop a  condition called electrolytic plating, where the compressors piston will deposit a thin layer of aluminum onto the cylinder wall & cause it to stick a bit, if it broke free it should run fine, but if you were to get a plug in type amp meter & measure the compressors "draw" current while it's running it would give you a better idea on how far along the compressors into it's golden years...

The Listed draw current is called Full Load Amps ( FLA) & is listed on the compressors I.D. plate, typically about 6-8 amps for your 1/4 HP V90 deck.. as the compressor ages & wears it will draw more & more current, a good indication to your compressors health.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 05:52:37 am »

Johnnie,

Thanks for adding that. That's really good to know about plating and the method to read current draw, very helpful. I love learning new tricks! biggrin

Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: