SMC Discussion Areas
May 13, 2024, 06:05:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st soda machine  (Read 16916 times)
ercin13

« on: December 19, 2010, 10:30:13 am »

hello, newbie here. i recently hit a yard sale and picked this up for $50. after watching countless episodes of american pickers and pawn stars, i convinced myself i hit the jackpot. well after i did a little research, i found out i didnt. oh well you live and you learn. i did talk them down from $75.

i figured i would try and sell it for a small profit. as i keep looking at it on my porch, its starting to grow on me and im thinking about keeping it. the wife keeps telling me to sell sell sell but she did say tonight she thinks it would look good in my bar room. i think shes warming up to it too. lol.

just wanted to get some opinions from experienced collectors. whats its value as is and restored? im mechanically able to do a lot of things. what kind of level is it to take it apart and restore it? it cools great and needs a coin mechanism. do i need a coin mechanism if i am just using it for personal use? the model # is VFA56B-B. any history or other info on it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ercin13

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 10:32:21 am »

bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 11:01:04 am »

You did good on the price.. I would probably hose that machine down with spray nine and a pressure washer. Then give it a good compound with a polisher followed by a coat of wax. Many of the scratches will come out or atleast clean up. I wouldn't sink a whole lot of money into restoring it at this point. The machine can free vend cans pretty easily, so the coin mech isn't needed for home use..

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 11:10:40 am »

I agree with Ken. Refurbish, don't restore. That Pepsi sign will light up and look nice where it is.........and you have one of the few machines of that era that will vend cans.
       You did real good! Watch out though, this is only your first machine. More will follow. drinking

Glen
Pat Pixley
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 11:12:14 am »

Welcome to the site And congrates on the your first machine you did well  these are perfected for a bar area
and it is up to you  if you want to restore it  .
Myself i like the coin mech  I have a old butter dish I keep dime in  on top of my machine  and when friend or family come over
I always end up with a few extra dollars in the dish.
This would make for a nice coin mech in there  you can always change the price when friend or family come over, and they  work nice.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 11:40:58 am by Pat Pixley » Logged
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 11:27:30 am »

It's a can machine, it cools, it has all the shelves, and a light up sign. You didn't lose anything at $50.

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 12:03:08 pm »

You can't even buy a used refrigerator for $50. You have a piece of vending history that will keep your beer cold.  Cool
ercin13

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 12:24:47 pm »

thanks guys . appreciate your thoughts. i think you guys have me convinced to keep it.

i didnt realize it was a can shelving. thought it was for bottles. i couldnt pull a can through the slots. i guess i need to find the release lever. if i keep it, it will probably be stocked with beers.lol. i fired it up this morning to let it run and the thermometer i stuck in there, read about 43 degrees. the fan shuts off and comes back on . i guess this normal. its very quiet.

whats the cheapest route on a coin mechanism? i read some other posts on the free vend trick, but i couldnt find a post for this model. is there a switch i can zip tie? also, anybody know what year it was made?

bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 12:40:20 pm »

I did the same thing as Pat with the coin bucket on the machine.. My one machine is still set up this way, but the other one I just zip tied open so you can just pull.. At the bottom of the can stack, (the part on the left with all the levers to release the cans) is the vend solenoid. Remove the cover, being careful if its plugged in. The solenoid moves a pin to release the gates. I tied the pin back with a zip tie and the gate moves freely. I'll try to get a picture, but there is one posted on the site here somewhere...

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 12:57:05 pm »

To vend cans you need to use 2 hands. With your left hand, pull the flap open. A kicker will then push the product forward so you can retrieve it with your right hand.

Glen
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: