SMC Discussion Areas
May 08, 2024, 06:41:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: insulation  (Read 3141 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« on: April 14, 2010, 03:54:44 pm »

Since I am going to pull the liner out of my machine this summer I thought that I should replace the insulation and would like to know what kind I should get. What kind do you guys use for your machines? Just want to make sure I get the right stuff.
Thanks
Alex
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 05:12:43 pm »

R-19 should work fine but you have to use a thickness that will work in the space that is available.  I have seen some opictures of restorations that have used foam board as well.  Whatever you use do not pack it in too tightly or it will lose it's insulating properties.

drinking Tim drinking
scriptx

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 11:36:56 am »

I am restoring a VMC-56 and decided to use polyiso which is ~R-7 per inch compared to ~R-3.5 for fiberglass. While foam board will provide a "boost" in insulating value, it has been a pain to work with all the extrusions (e.g. bottle door, inner tub mounts) and you will have to use fiberglass or low expansion spray foam to fill in voids and foil tape to seal boards together.

As a time comparison, insulating the front door with fiberglass may have taken 30 minutes, I'd guess 40 tops. I have about 4 hours into cutting, shaping, taping, spraying just the front door.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 11:39:07 am by scriptx » Logged
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 04:16:25 pm »

Make sure your insulation isn't paper backed. A few times I have been to Home depot and all they had was paper backed and I just take the paper off. It just pulls away and works just fine. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: