SMC Discussion Areas
May 12, 2024, 07:18:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideal Slider - Wiring  (Read 9696 times)
ZMonet
10 Cent Member

« on: December 02, 2006, 08:19:53 am »

I thought I would tackle assessing where my Pepsi Ideal 55 Slider project is at and wanted to see if I could get the compressor/fan/thermostat working.  I should have planned better though because once I took a look at it, I'm thoroughly confused.  I have a wiring harness (see pic) and although the  main plug line is in horrible shape, the rest of the wiring seems ok.  I'll probably replace that too, but how do I replace the main power running into the first housing?  My confusion is in the fact that there are three wires running to the first box, not two like I expected.  Since this doesn't have a ground, I don't know what the third wire is.  Can anyone help tell me what I need to do to replace the last run using the harness?  I've done plenty of socket/switch wiring before, but never anything like this. Thanks in advance.

Ideal 55 Slider - Coke (1st machine) - gift for father
Ideal 55 Pepsi (single dot) - almost finished restoring
Ideal 55 7 Up - need to pick up
Ideal 55 Generic - at my parent's
Vendo 110 - currently restoring
Vendo H63C - cleaned up and operational
Westinghouse Cooler - Collecture MADE ME buy
ZMonet
10 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 08:45:21 am »

I now see there is a ground, which makes this much less confusing, but I'd still like some advice on how to best use the connectors on the new harness to connect into the old wiring (after the junction "box").  I'll likely replace all the wiring, but I just want to see what is working and what isn't working for now.  Two more pictures to follow.

collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 09:08:16 am »

I do not own a slider, but the harness looks pretty standard. Even though the rest of the wiring only has two leads, the line cord always has three. The ground wire is usually attached to the compressor deck. Most of the time, the junction block mounting bolt is also used to secure the ground wire.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
ZMonet
10 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 10:06:50 am »

Thanks Collecture.  I guess my confusion is over where the existing wires connect into the wiring harness.  The way I see it, I need to connect two wires to the thermostat and two wires to the compressor.  I'm unclear where these four wires connect into my wiring harness.  I'm probably making this more complicated than it needs to be, but can someone tell me how the 4 wires connect to the new harness?  My assumption is that the harness has a number of connections that aren't needed.

davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 10:33:04 am »

Have you got a wire that would be used for a lighted bottle door in amongst it all??
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 11:03:34 am »

Have you got a wire that would be used for a lighted bottle door in amongst it all??

No bottle door in a slider Dave! There could possibly be a wire to a coin mech heater, but I would disregard that if there.
Josh, I've wired many upright machines and suppose the slider is no different; however, I will let somebody more knowledgable about sliders respond instead of steering you wrong. I am sure somebody will chime in soon.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 11:36:39 am »

I was just thinking that he might have got himself a generic wiring harness and
the wire was spare. I had that problem with a V-39. I couldn't work out why I needed
the extra lead.

Dave
ZMonet
10 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 11:51:29 am »

This might be a real stupid question, but how do I get the wires I cut to fit into the wiring harness?  Do I use a pair of crimpers?  I looked at the hardware store for connectors I could attach to the wire ends, but couldn't find anything that would then fit into the harness module.

Thanks guys.

David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 04:12:27 pm »

I don't think you have the correct wiring harness.  I've replaced the wiring on my Glasco slider and it was pretty straight forward.   I purchased a standard wiring harness from one of the forum sponsors, I believe it was sodajerkworks.

Here's a picture for reference, note the harness has the terminal block included for the compressor plug.

Thanks-

ZMonet
10 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 04:19:57 pm »

Thanks Duchon.  I think it is a generic harness, but wires should still go into it.  I'm just unsure how they attach.  As an aside, Duchon, did you add the wheels to the slider yourself?

UPDATE: I just connected the wires into the harness, but they aren't in their solid and I would be better off using wire nuts based on the way it is currently set up.  I'm amazed that the fan actually came on.  Sadly, it is too cold outside right now to see if the compressor is actually cooling the unit.  

Anyway, any help on a more permanent solution for attaching the cut wires to the harness would be appreciated.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: