SMC Discussion Areas
May 15, 2024, 03:17:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo coin mechanism  (Read 5727 times)
« on: October 10, 2005, 09:44:36 am »

HI all,
I am a VERY new owner of a Cavalier 64 Coke Machine.
It has a working Vendo coin mechanism that takes 50 cents to vend the product.
My "hopefully-not-too-stupid" question is: can the coin mechanism be adjusted to take other currency amounts?
The little plastic sign by the coin slot says 15 cents and I'd like it to vend for 15 cents.

Any suggesitons?
thanks,
Casey
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 04:42:37 pm »

Welcome Casey!  Look for a model number on the mechanism and report back to us.  Every one is different.

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 08:13:05 am »

I think I have it figured out.
The coin mechanism is a "Vari-Vend" by Vendo (I think) and once I took the back stainless steel cover off, it had diagrams for all sorts of payment situations.
There are about 5 or 6 colored wires that have to be switched in various combinations on perhaps 20 jumpers. I tried to get the configuration for 15-cents to work, but for some reason, it just passed the nickels and dimes on thru the coin return slot. If I inserted quarters instead, it would sometimes return the correct change (10 cents) and sometimes not..very random.

I just set it up to take 25 cents and it works fine like that.
I'll keep a bucket of quarters handy I guess - the little neighbor kid gets a kick out of putting coins in machines so he will enjoy it.

thanks,
Casey
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 05:29:07 am »

Casey,
Welcome to the forum!!  I had a coke machine I used to keep in my garage and was set for .25 also.  The neighborhood kids made my garage their hangout!  I made it clear to them from the beginning that if the garage was open, they had free access to the machine but nothing else was to be touched or I'd not allow anyone access to the machine.  I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.  They not only respected my property but when one of the regulars attempted to swindle me with a slug and the others found out, they took him to task on the matter.  I overheard one of them comment, "Holy cra** dude, he's only charging a quarter and you can't be happy with that??  If you screw this up for the rest of us......." and he just let the unspoken threat hang there.  Proof that (in most cases) a good deed does foster respect.

I wish I could be of more help concerning your coin mech but I haven't played with the Vendo units before.  Strictly Coinco and NRI units for me.  There are a couple of guys on here much more versed than I on these units.  One member is Johnnie G, he's a master of knowledge concerning anything dealing with soda machines.  He's incredibly helpful too, doesn't mind sharing knowledge.  You could send him a PM with your question and I bet he could help you troubleshoot/repair it to vend for .15

Again welcome to the list.  Oh yeah, and post some pics of your machine!  We all like to check out each other's stuff!

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

1955 Vendo 23 - awaiting restoration
1959 Westinghouse WC-44SK - awaiting parts
1967 Cavalier CS-64G - functional in house
1969 Vendo 63 - in restoration
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: