SMC Discussion Areas
May 06, 2024, 05:52:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 23 compressor  (Read 6636 times)
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« on: October 04, 2003, 01:30:47 am »

I'm looking at purchasing a Vendo 23 E but am unsure about the state of the compressor.  When I plug in the Vendo, I hear the compressor kick in but several seconds later it kicks out.  After several more seconds it kicks back in again and just keeps repeating this cycle every 10-20 seconds or so.  Nothing gets cold but the thermostst seem to be operational.  When turned to off it will de-energize the compressor but at any other rheostat setting the compressor cycles on and of every several seconds.  Can anyone tell me the problem?  I'm enclosing a pic of the compressor unit installed in this 23.  I couldn't get any make/model info off the data plate due to its placement and rust buildup.
Thanks

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

1955 Vendo 23 - awaiting restoration
1959 Westinghouse WC-44SK - awaiting parts
1967 Cavalier CS-64G - functional in house
1969 Vendo 63 - in restoration
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2003, 11:12:18 am »

The on-off action is caused by the overload relay which is supposed to shut off if a problem is detected.                  The most common cause is to shut down a fully operational compressor, then turn it back on immediately. It needs to stay off at least 3-5 minutes for the high and low pressures to equalize, or the overload relay kicks in.
      If that wasn't the problem, a refrigeration service should be able to correct the operation.
      Maybe Eric could be more helpful.                Glen

Glen
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2003, 10:00:33 am »

Glen,
Thanks for the info.  I suspected it might have some sort of overload relay but am unfamiliar with these types of compressors (no evap or evap fan??) so wasn't sure if they incorporated overloads in these simple compressor designs.  The problem is that the cycling happens immediately; as soon as you plug it in and turn the thermostat on, the cycling begins.  Eric, if you read this, your expertise would be most appreciated!!

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2003, 04:09:22 pm »

Eric,

If you could post a photo of the compressor w/ related wiring areas open for viewing, that would be great...  If not, I believe there was a previous photo showing this equipment in a previous post in this section...

For testing purposes, you'll need to locate and jump the actual over-load sensor located in one of the plastic/metal housings for wiring.  Once you remove the thermal overload, you can see if the compressor is cooling properly.  I wouldn't leave it this way in the event there is a problem.

Update:  If the refrigeration system has been broken into/serviced, do not attempt this method as this could cause damage from air, low freon, low oil or just contaminated!

My six cents,

Jim

joesquid
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2003, 11:51:25 pm »

Jim,
  I tried to install a pic in my first postbut couldn't get it to post, not sure what the problem was.  In any case I don't have any closeups of the wiring but i'll try to get some Thursday and try posting a pic again.
thanks again for all the help!

Eric

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2003, 05:01:23 pm »

Eric,

Chances are the image file size is too big...  If taking photos w/ a digital camera, place the file size/image quality or what ever your camera manufacturer may call this particular setting to 640 X 480.  This is generally, the lowest setting on most digital cameras. Then do things as you normally would to get the photo onto your computer... To include the photo in your post, just click the "browse" button towards the bottom of the new/reply post screen and navigate to the location of the image file...

I don't want to sound redundant as you may already know all of this but I wanted to point out that many people take pictures with the intention of printing them...  Thus they leave the camera setting on a high/highest setting to acquire the best possible photo. This isn't necessary for web photos. Should you have additional problems, let me know so i can assist.

My six cents,

Jim

joesquid
25 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2003, 10:41:01 pm »

Jim,
  I finally got a chance to go get some more pics of the compressor wiring.  I tried starting the compressor again and it immediately started short cycling; the start winding would energize for 3-5 seconds then the overload would trip and remain so for about 20 seconds then the cycle would repeat.  I shorted the overload first (top yellow box in pic) with a flathead screwdriver to see if the compressor would begin to work.  All that happened is the compressor hummed.  I then shorted both the overload and the run coil (lower yellow box) and this time got a weak "ratcheting" sound from the compressor but nothing more.  As soon as I unshorted the overload, the compressor tripped.  I don't know much about compressors but that ratcheting sound sure didn't sound good.  I'm assuming that the compressor is frozen up unless  someone has any other troubleshooting tips for me?  What does it generally cost to overhaul a compressor?
Thanks and happy Columbus Day!

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: