SMC Discussion Areas
May 19, 2024, 02:46:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting a Wet Chest to a Dry Chest ???  (Read 9048 times)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« on: February 20, 2012, 12:38:36 pm »

I was thinking this morning what would it take to convert a Wet Chest cooler like a Westy WE-6 or similiar to a Dry Chest?  First thought is just swapping out the condenser unit with something that you can blow air through? but am I missing anything else??

I run across alot of wet chest units and pass on them, because of the fact they are wet chests... but if I could convert them easiliy to a dry chest, I think I could have more luck selling them...

Thoughts, opionions?

also anyone know where I could buy Condensing units that would work?

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 12:44:43 pm »

I had the same thoughts a few years back with a Westy Standard that I got, I swear someone has done this before but I can't find the thread on it.  I would think that using the existing wiring from the agitator motor and putting that on a fan unit would work. 

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 01:03:23 pm »

Yes, I had a sheetmetal shop make a shroud to surround the coils and used a "pancake fanmotor" like used in computers to blow the air over them. It cooled just fine.....but I still ended up just giving that beast away at my cost!  darn

Glen
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 01:33:33 pm »

Love the idea of a conversion.  Keep us posted on your progress with pictures.

Nobody wants standing water in the man caves so wet coolers are not very practical.

BC

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Pat Pixley
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 02:17:52 pm »

Well Right now I working on a Westinghouse WD14D that is a dry chest   it has the coolest  cooling system set up that I have seen in a while  and it would work
with some sheet metel work. If I was to do what your thinking of doing this would be it , Right now JohnieG is doing the compressor for it so when he is done with that I will
post some pictures and show you .

then I did this to my 7Up Slider ( See attached)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 03:09:31 pm »

Glen, good idea.. i was hoping to find a way to use the existing cooling coils and such, as I dont' want to have to deal with a 2 part cooling unit like in a slider where it has to be dissassembled and then reasembled and charged... just too much moving around for me with a big heavy cooler back and forth from my shop to the painter to then reassembled and then back to the refrigeration guy and back to my shop and then shipped..

at least with the Wet chest like the wE 6 and such the cooling unit goes up and over the back and side and then down in, and you don't have to dismantle it which is a huge plus!

I have several people asking me to restore there wet chests but they dont' realize that they require cold water to cool the bottles and then they decide not to restore them... but if I had this option, It could be another option..

and after doing a few WD 10, coolers I am finding they are not that time consuming to restore, so if someone wants the one they own, restored, I would have this option...

collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 05:23:59 pm »

Wouldn't you need some sort of grate on the bottom elevating the bottles so the air could circulate.
Don't the WD's have this?

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 05:47:00 pm »

Yes,
I was looking and found a conversion that was done, I think by Alan Huffman where he used the existing tub, but made a piece out of galvanized sheet metal that housed the Evaporator coils, incorporated a fan to circulate the air and also left about an inch of room underneath it with vents on the other side to allow for air flow.. Pretty good idea.. and may play upon that.. images at ..http://gallery.antiquevending.com/we6reddry.htm
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:23:03 pm by johnieG » Logged

globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 08:29:18 pm »

I build a drop in conversion...

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 10:00:59 am »

I build a drop in conversion...
Cool, Good to know Eric!

red-hungarian
10 Cent Member

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 09:03:35 am »

I converted a Vendo/Westy standard spin top. One thing to also consider is insulation. The insulation on the lid may not be sufficient.
http://www.colamachines.com/restorationprojects/Vendo139Standard/Vendo139Standard.htm

Vendo 81D
Westinghouse 10 Case Master (WD-10)
Westinghouse WH-5T
Gone: Vendo Junior, V56, CS-72, CS-96, CS-124, Pepsi V33 ,v27, v27b, 6 case/110, Westinghouse Master, Standard, Victor 3-door, Vendo 29 spin-top, I forget...
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 09:46:14 am »

I like what you did with the Neoprene... cool idea. and nice looking cooler

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: