SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 10:07:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Negotiating Tips  (Read 3788 times)
Zach
25 Cent Member

« on: December 22, 2016, 02:55:38 pm »

We've all came across that machine we want but the seller is way out in left field. You offer a fair price for both you and the seller (not a Craigslist steal price) but the seller still thinks what they have is gold and won't budge to what the machine is actually worth. Just curious to see if anyone has any negotiating tips for these instances?
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 03:10:25 pm »

I run into all of the time...
I kindly just explain that I consider myself pretty knowledgable on the item they have for sale, and I ask if I can at least leave them with my phone number and an offer..

I have had several instances where "MONTHS" have passed and I 'll get a call saying if my offer still is good .

Several 81's that where priced 3500-5000 for an unrestored barn condition machine...I leave my offer and have picked up several this way.

Kill them with kindness... you'll stand out more than the other guy calling them stupid...

Good luck!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 07:50:15 pm »

When I look for machines I prefer them to be overpriced (example a $6,000 unrestored 81A) because I know I'm not going to have to fight anyone for it. I call to discuss the machine a little bit then I just ask how they came up with their price for the machine. Usually they are honest and say the did a quick internet search. From there you just need to feel them out and just explain to them that it's way overpriced.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 11:14:14 pm »

All great advice. I help folks with what they have. Most don't really know. Explain why x is the best I can do. Leave a card and walk away if no agreement. Need to start a log of those cause feel like an idiot when someone calls back and can't recall what they have. Telling that have several other machines and will give it a good home works as well. Be the nice guy and don't overpay at the first visit.
Creighton
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 11:17:48 am »

When I look for machines I prefer them to be overpriced (example a $6,000 unrestored 81A) because I know I'm not going to have to fight anyone for it. I call to discuss the machine a little bit then I just ask how they came up with their price for the machine. Usually they are honest and say the did a quick internet search. From there you just need to feel them out and just explain to them that it's way overpriced.
I agree with this as well.. love those overpriced ones... cause when they do call me months later.. they say "I guess I'll take your offer cause I didn't get a single call on it."..  biggrin

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
cormy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 11:29:57 am »

Patience is defiantly a virtue in these cases...

cmc
Zach
25 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 11:33:22 am »

All good information, thanks all!
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 12:26:58 pm »

I have had luck a couple of times by asking if thats what your asking then what have you been offered .most of the time you get the nothing yet because a high price runs people away. So I always leave a card even with antique stores .

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest