SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 12:02:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New eBay Experience  (Read 3609 times)
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« on: December 10, 2016, 03:08:50 pm »

Wanted to pass this along just to see if others have experienced this. Been buying/selling on eBay for years. Yes eBay has it's ups and downs but overall I still enjoy it.

I bid/bought a 81B Coke machine for $3,000. Older restoration but overall looked nice in the photos and I was happy with the deal. It was in one State over from me so shipping would have been reasonable. Seller and I made contact via phone right after auction ended. He had 7 feedbacks and had a Paypal account but told me he signed up for it years ago so he wasn't really sure how exactly it worked. I have heard that before and was fine with it. I then offered to mail either a money order or personal check. He said a check would be fine but would wait for it to clear. 3 days later he said he received the check so to wait a couple of more days to clear. A couple hours later I receive a e-mail from eBay saying the auction was cancelled. Something about seller not having my proper street address. I called him asking what had happened and he said he cancelled the auction to avoid his seller fee's but still had every intention of selling me the machine.

First, I had no idea you could do this as a seller after the auction was over with a winner bidder. I know you can end a auction during but not after a deal was made. It just seemed too easy and eBay never contacted me asking me that I wanted to cancel also. So now he still has the machine, my check and soon to be my money, $3,000 of it and I no longer have a binding contract through eBay and no buyer protection because we didn't use Paypal.

This really bothered me and I didn't want to worry about something going south so I stopped payment on my check, a $30 investment. I contacted him after telling him what I did and that I was disappointed of him cancelling the auction so he could save his eBay fee's. I explained it left me in a very vulnerable position  and it was a risk that I was not willing to take. In my dealing with him I honestly didn't think he was up to no good but I had 3000 reasons to stop payment on my check. He said he understood and we chatted about it for a few minutes and that was that.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
sodahunter
10 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 03:58:55 pm »

I canceled an ebay auction once, after the buyer informed me it could be done....but this was after he picked up and paid for the item.  In my case, the seller (me) canceled the bid and (he) the buyer had to contact ebay and agree to cancel the bid.  It worked out as the transaction was done face to face and with cash.  I think you did the right thing in canceling the check.  I bet if you called the seller and told him you were coming for the machine and could pay in cash, you could salvage the deal.
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 04:10:54 pm »

He told me he was disappointed the machine didn't sell for more and said not paying the $300 in fee's would help which I understand. He didn't leave himself much protection starting the auction at $2,900 with no reserve. Had he informed me prior what he wanted to do I would have worked with him, like once the machine was in either my or my shipper possession. I told him I still wanted the machine for my bid price if we could do it in a way that wouldn't put me at risk and there is a few ways we could go. He said he would think about it and let me know. At this point either way is fine with me.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
ajf5577
Soda Jerks

Andy

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 06:30:21 am »

That's why I like PayPal in cases like this. You did the right thing, and the deal may come through anyway.

VMC 7up 81
VMC Pepsi 33
Coke 81
Pepsi CV 78D
Vendo Milk Machine
Whistle Quikold
Whistle S&S
Cleo Cola Quikold
Stoner Gum Wheel
Looking for Picnic Coolers
Wanted- Superior Jr Orange Crush and Grapette
Starr X Openers
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 10:19:00 pm »

The only experience I had simular to that , I won an auction on a sign , contacted be ebay to pay now and did so . A few days later the guy called me and requested more money or the deal was off . I did get my money back but when checking his feed back it was only 5 so he just closed it out .

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest
early model Stoner jr.
Stoner theaters
Thanks Jeff
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 03:55:13 am »

Suggested on the Vintage Drum forum. When you bid also put a watch listing flag.
Creighton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: