SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 12:57:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: is that the cheapest you got?  (Read 12532 times)
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 11:10:55 pm »

Eric, 

You still take coupons don't you?  smile  How about green stamps?

On the serious side though, hows the chroming business been treating you? 

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 08:33:55 am »

I love the lines "just need a little cleaning" "just needs freon"when describing why things like old Jukeboxes don't work.

It is never "just needs cleaning.  I buy lots of old stuff and I wish people would just say they don't know why it doesn't work.  I just got back from a 2 hour drive from some who swore the machine worked.  When I got to his house, I saw that the power cord had been severed years ago.  I told him that I drove 2 hours band I asked him 3 times (before I left) if it currently works on a dime band he said with a straight face, that at one time " it did".

Sometimes our hobby can get pretty frustrating.  Enjoy the deals that you get when the item is complete priced fairly, and actually "works on a dime".

Just my .02

BC

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 08:49:03 am »

Eric, 

You still take coupons don't you?  smile  How about green stamps?

On the serious side though, hows the chroming business been treating you? 

your 1st born... no problem  glare

On on the chrome, I've had to go to a "brush plate". Since the Summer was so hot,
my tanks evaporated and will cost me over a $grand to reconstitute. I'm not ready
to reinvest that much for a few small jobs. Too many "irons" in the fire at the moment.
Maybe down the road, and when I get moved into my new shop, etc...I can spend the
time (and money) to get it back up and running. Polishing on the other hand...no problems
at all. 8 different rouges, 2 double 10" wheel buffers, (3/4hp) ...shine like a diamond and take my
fingers down to the bone in 2 seconds flat!  tounge

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
Ken R
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 07:40:33 pm »

Eric, I totally understand all your points.  I probably would have never picked up on the various parts you mentioned only due to my lack of experience with such things, so I definitely appreciate your expertise on that.  Obviously, anyone that wants to put a machine back to its "original" condition would want to have an "original" piece of equipment to put into it and not something that will "just work".  Unfortunately, a Vendo 216 really isn't worth putting thousands of dollars into without a known buyer beforehand.  I'm going to hope that the unit I have merely needs a recharge, which means probably a slow leak somewhere in the system that will have to be fixed.  Still cheaper than replacing the whole unit though. I've got a guy coming to check it out tomorrow, so we shall see!!!

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2011, 10:40:21 pm »

Ken,

I wasn't speaking of you specific... just in general. No, your machine isn't worth the dollar value, but
if it were in your granddad's hardware store, and you wanted it repaired...well, then it might be worth it,
to you. That's the other side of what I do as well. I get that question all the time, "what's it worth?". My
answer is "what's it worth TO YOU?" Of all the people who call, I probably only sell about 10%. I get a lot
of "tire kickers" but I do get folks who want it done right, as well. Either way, I enjoy talking to them.

If you have any questions, about what your man finds, call me. Opinions cost nothing, and hell...I even
pay for the phone call!  Cool
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 04:09:17 pm by globalcompressors » Logged

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
Ken R
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2011, 05:24:58 pm »

Haha, thanks Eric.  Turns out the compressor and cooling system is fine.  It was almost empty on freon, so he recharged, checked for leaks and all is good.  $75 for a housecall and recharge, so I figure that's a pretty darn good deal!!!

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
briandr1
25 Cent Member

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 07:28:19 am »

since they outlawed manufacturing freon in the U.S. I imagine as supply runs out price goes up. I was gonna ask are they still manufacturing r 12 in mexico?

selectivend 64 sa
2 cavalier 96
1975 bally hi deal em pinball machine
1920 wate and fate penny  scale
sodaman
25 Cent Member

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 09:19:31 am »

I have bought several compressors from Eric and have found him honest and forthright.  I am confident that the price he quotes is a fair one.  Harrison Collins

VMC 81:RC, 7UP Pepsi
Jacobs: 26(4), 160, 35, 50, 56 
Quikold RC, Orange Crush, Barqs
General Vending Leader , Master & Midget(THE DALY 32)
American Vendor 124
Guiberson, DP 27 W/stand
VMC 33 7UP, Pepsi 
Mills 45, 47A, 120 W/bottle display
2 Delf Triples VMC 72
70+ soda Venders, 6 Stoner
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 11:58:57 am »

It has been a few years back since I purchased from Eric.  At the time I had a local company quote me on a compressor replacement.  I was able to get the whole cooling unit from Eric for less than the local guy. 

He has my business from now on. 
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 03:16:41 pm »

since they outlawed manufacturing freon in the U.S. I imagine as supply runs out price goes up. I was gonna ask are they still manufacturing r 12 in mexico?

Yes. In fact the Dow plant that still makes R12 exports the majority of it to China

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: