SMC Discussion Areas
May 19, 2024, 11:20:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 81 Bulb  (Read 3059 times)
jnshetler

« on: June 25, 2013, 07:17:15 pm »

I'm tearing into the front door of my Vendo 81A tomorrow. Need to replace the fluorescent bulb. I'd like to pick up a new one on the way home from work before I take the machine apart. Can anyone tell me the exact bulb type this machine takes. Size, length, Cool White or Day-Glo. Thank you!
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 08:29:09 am »

I just take the old one with me to the hardware store.. I usually pick up the cool white or daylight , they seem brighter than the warm glow.

I've replaced nearly a hundred of them but off the top of my head couldn't tell you the size? sorry.  it's a standard size I want to say 18" but

just bring the old one with you.. or measure the opening and you'll be good to go.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
jnshetler

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 09:06:17 am »

A board member was kind enough to PM me about the bulb: The correct one is F13T5  21" Daylight. Thought I'd list it in case anyone searched posts in the future looking for the same info. The "color" rating is up to the user, but seems "Daylight" was original spec. I have to open up my door for a new ballast as well, so a little more complicated job. One thing to mention to anyone doing it for the first time. You must loosen the screw holding the stainless strip across the center of the glass diffuser. Other wise it will not come out (without breaking).
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 09:18:15 am »

If you are removing the inner liner of the door to replace the ballast, beware that the old liner is cracked around almost all screw holes and will be very difficult to re-install. This may be the best time to order a new gasket and liner.

Glen
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 09:26:01 am »

If you are removing the inner liner of the door to replace the ballast, beware that the old liner is cracked around almost all screw holes and will be very difficult to re-install. This may be the best time to order a new gasket and liner.

I would also replace the hot wire that goes to the ballast that comes out the bottom of the door from the bottom.  I made the mistake of not replacing it, re installed the door liner than when installing the new wiring the door light wire was brittle and  needed to be replaced!
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 04:11:23 pm »

I'm not in front of my machine right now - ie I'm sneaking a look at today's posts from the office, but I would measure before going to the hardware store.  I am almost positive that the bulb is 18" long like John mentioned above. 

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 04:44:56 pm »

I just checked my stock............21" is correct.

Glen
msanborn
25 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 06:07:02 pm »

make sure you have good working switch as well, as long as you are replacing ballast. 

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 09:40:43 pm »

The one in my 81D is a F13T5 cool white 21"  Part number on the package is 49333
bmw90w
10 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 10:03:13 pm »

Also if you weren't already planning on it, replace the ballast with a modern one. They are pretty cheap but you have to go to an electronics dealer to get one if you don't use one of the sponsors.

Cavalier CS-96
Vendo 81-A
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: