SMC Discussion Areas
May 25, 2024, 10:56:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: is that the cheapest you got?  (Read 12580 times)
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« on: October 17, 2011, 06:35:50 pm »

Okay Guys. Nothing against anyone, but is it just me or does everyone think compressor work, parts and labor...have gone DOWN in these times?  veryangry Has anyone bought a roll of copper tubing or a 30 lb jug of freon lately? How about shipping prices or new compressor prices?

PSA (public service announcement)  ...coke machine collecting IS NOT a cheap hobby. If you buy a machine, and someone tells you, "all it needs is a little freon"...don't expect me to give you a "break" or a "discount" because you believed it was going to be an easy "fix".

Thank you for your time.

(I've had 5 of these in the last 3 days)  censored

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 08:07:30 pm »

I understand fully Eric. $900.00 for a jug of R-12.....yikes!

It's amazing how many ads read "only needs a shot of freon"  biggrin
These machines are not like old tires that lose air after many years. If they are low on freon, it usually means there is a leak which has to be found and fixed before it can be charged. $$$

Glen
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 08:13:12 pm »

thanks Glen...I just needed to "vent". Monday...jeeze!  wow

Ken R
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 08:15:50 pm »

Here here!  My hats off to you for being able to deal with the customer relations aspect on a regular basis!  Seems I don't have a lot of patience when it comes to dealing with stupidity.  I always swore when I finally got my executive desk job that I would have a sign put on the wall in big giant letters that read, "Stupidity never ceases to @$%#&$* amaze me!"

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 08:21:33 pm »

Ken...I've been in all aspects, from industrial compressor rebuilding, vending maching referb(ing), and now, the antique end of things. I've delt with either the "service company" or the general public, for the last 23 years. Today was just a rough day and after "5" calls since Thursday, I guess I "popped"!!! It's all good though, and tomorrow is a new day!  upside

Ken R
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 08:29:51 pm »

Haha, I know exactly what you mean.  Thanks for doing what you do for all of us!!!  You ARE appreciated!   happydrinkers

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 08:31:49 pm »

Welcome to today's retail.  Wal-Mart mentality has driven the small family style profitable business down.  The internet has not helped either.  Someone always has something cheaper.  The idea of supporting someone who is "brick and mortar" has gone away.  Nevermind there is a store who you can keep in business, or a person to guide you if you have trouble.  

90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 08:04:50 am »

Another sad part of today is the things we buy tend to fall into the "throw-away" category.  Appliances, in particular, fall into this.  Our antique machines had cooling systems built to last, just like the old refrigerators.  Compare one of those cooling systems to the one in your new high-dollar frig and you'll just shake your head in sadness.

When it comes to getting things built, repaired, etc. you have to pay for quality work.  Naturally, we don't want to pay more than necessary, but we should never EXPECT to pay LESS than necessary.  I will admit I shop in Wal-Mart, but not for everything.  Some of the stuff just isn't up to the quality I want to have.

Eric, rest assured, your work is TOP NOTCH, and you are MORE than fair.  If some yahoo can't realize that, tell them to pee up the proverbial rope.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 08:20:08 am »

I love all the ads for machines for sale,, where they want BIG Money for any old coke cooler and say "Great old Coke COoler, WOrth 5-6000 on ebay, for sale for 2500, all there , Does not cool".

and then when you contact them , they say... "oh it only needs a little shot of freon"...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 09:22:27 am »

hahaha...that's it, "just needs a little freon" !  tounge

collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 09:25:00 am »

Another sad part of today is the things we buy tend to fall into the "throw-away" category.  Appliances, in particular, fall into this.  Our antique machines had cooling systems built to last, just like the old refrigerators.  Compare one of those cooling systems to the one in your new high-dollar frig and you'll just shake your head in sadness.

When it comes to getting things built, repaired, etc. you have to pay for quality work.  Naturally, we don't want to pay more than necessary, but we should never EXPECT to pay LESS than necessary.  I will admit I shop in Wal-Mart, but not for everything.  Some of the stuff just isn't up to the quality I want to have.

I agree Wayne - everything is "planned obsolescence" nowadays.

As my father used to say "Cheap things are not good and good things are not cheap!"
He passed away in 1986, so some things never change!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
briandr1
25 Cent Member

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 03:14:55 pm »

Exactly like how they stop reflling bottles so all you have is throw away plastic or over priced throw away glass, damn shame

selectivend 64 sa
2 cavalier 96
1975 bally hi deal em pinball machine
1920 wate and fate penny  scale
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 03:33:35 pm »

I bet Rick Dale could do it for 35 bucks..... oh wait, he can cange water into FREON!

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 06:56:26 pm »

Better watch out Eric, you might get another ten calls from members here just to harass you!  Thanks for the CS-80 unit. I haven't had time yet to get it installed. By the way it looks it will probably be a Thanksgiving project.

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
Ken R
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 07:03:11 pm »

Hey Eric,
   Just curious...what is a decent going rate these days for a reworked/rebuilt or new cooling system to put into a Vendo 216?  Saw a guy on Ebay selling them and he said he'd sell me one for $600.  Just wondering if that's a good rate or if is high.  Not sure I need one just yet, but shopping around just in case.  Thanks.

Ken

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
cokecolaman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 07:19:53 pm »

You could buy another working machine or two for that price...

VMC Coke 88 (nice original)
VMC Pepsi 81
VMC Orange Crush 81
VMC Squirt 81
VMC Dr. Pepper 81
VMC RC 81
VMC 7up 81 st
Vendo 44 original
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Cavalier 33
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 07:43:57 pm »

Okay Guys. Nothing against anyone, but is it just me or does everyone think compressor work, parts and labor...have gone DOWN in these times?  veryangry Has anyone bought a roll of copper tubing or a 30 lb jug of freon lately? How about shipping prices or new compressor prices?

PSA (public service announcement)  ...coke machine collecting IS NOT a cheap hobby. If you buy a machine, and someone tells you, "all it needs is a little freon"...don't expect me to give you a "break" or a "discount" because you believed it was going to be an easy "fix".

Thank you for your time.

(I've had 5 of these in the last 3 days)  censored

Yep, I get it all the time from my restaurant owners who are convinced that just because their second cousins uncle told them an old refrigerator compressor will fit in their busted 3-door 3/4 H.P. F-body* compressor freezer I should be able to cram the little piece of crud into it & magically make it work, or my next favorite is " don't you any used compressors in the back?"  I say why Yes I do! they're in that dumpster, take your pick on your way out!  tounge

oh and don't forget ( in regards to a used compressor they haul in from god-knows-where.."if you install this in my machine does it come with a guaranty ?" why yes, of course it does, 5-feet or five seconds, which ever comes first...times up!

Oh & heads up Eric! I had a guy who wanted me to rebuild a 1/2 H.P hermetic compressor, quote, " just cut the top off & replace the valves, it can't cost that much to fix can it?" I referred him to you!  blush

* for those who don't know what an F-body rebuildable compressor looks like, it's an industrial type cast iron body that is rather expensive.  see picture below.   this one runs an affordable $750.00 not including installation...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 07:45:36 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Ken R
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 07:52:51 pm »

Haha, those are pretty good! Keep up the great work gents!!!

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
cokecolaman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 08:34:42 pm »

I like the 5ft or 5 seconds... laugh

VMC Coke 88 (nice original)
VMC Pepsi 81
VMC Orange Crush 81
VMC Squirt 81
VMC Dr. Pepper 81
VMC RC 81
VMC 7up 81 st
Vendo 44 original
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Cavalier 33
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 10:49:57 pm »

Johnie...

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Oh, and $750 is a great price for that little compressor. When you get up into the K, E, 4R, and 6R Discuss compressors....watch out...lol The worst thing on rebuilding those types of compressors,
when you have $1200 tied up in a rewind and the "customer" calls you back in 2 hours and let's you know the compressor "just quit working"...GRRRRR  censored Made my partner retire, no fooling.

Ken, sure... the guy on ebay is less money than what I charge. I understand he'll even throw in the diamond plate for free...hahaha. I build "true" drop in replacement units, specific to your machine. To do it right, it cost more. Johnie and I talked about his units as well. If you'll look close, he uses the exact same coil for the upper evaporator as well as the lower condenser...both are Copeland condenser coils. The other "flag" is he doesn't use an accumulator but a copper spun drier, for expansion. In layman's terms...it's WRONG and it's simply a pile of parts, thrown together. In my shop, I also do ALL of my own sheet metal work. Not just tin snips but 60" shear and 72" pan break. I have a full sheet metal shop within a refrigeration shop.

This is the point...experience, equipment, brick and mortar shop, supplies, parts....it ALL cost money. Remember the old adage..."you get what you pay for".  Ask ANYONE who has used me, I stand behind every single unit I build...and you can take that to the bank!

BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 11:10:55 pm »

Eric, 

You still take coupons don't you?  smile  How about green stamps?

On the serious side though, hows the chroming business been treating you? 

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 08:33:55 am »

I love the lines "just need a little cleaning" "just needs freon"when describing why things like old Jukeboxes don't work.

It is never "just needs cleaning.  I buy lots of old stuff and I wish people would just say they don't know why it doesn't work.  I just got back from a 2 hour drive from some who swore the machine worked.  When I got to his house, I saw that the power cord had been severed years ago.  I told him that I drove 2 hours band I asked him 3 times (before I left) if it currently works on a dime band he said with a straight face, that at one time " it did".

Sometimes our hobby can get pretty frustrating.  Enjoy the deals that you get when the item is complete priced fairly, and actually "works on a dime".

Just my .02

BC

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 08:49:03 am »

Eric, 

You still take coupons don't you?  smile  How about green stamps?

On the serious side though, hows the chroming business been treating you? 

your 1st born... no problem  glare

On on the chrome, I've had to go to a "brush plate". Since the Summer was so hot,
my tanks evaporated and will cost me over a $grand to reconstitute. I'm not ready
to reinvest that much for a few small jobs. Too many "irons" in the fire at the moment.
Maybe down the road, and when I get moved into my new shop, etc...I can spend the
time (and money) to get it back up and running. Polishing on the other hand...no problems
at all. 8 different rouges, 2 double 10" wheel buffers, (3/4hp) ...shine like a diamond and take my
fingers down to the bone in 2 seconds flat!  tounge

Ken R
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 07:40:33 pm »

Eric, I totally understand all your points.  I probably would have never picked up on the various parts you mentioned only due to my lack of experience with such things, so I definitely appreciate your expertise on that.  Obviously, anyone that wants to put a machine back to its "original" condition would want to have an "original" piece of equipment to put into it and not something that will "just work".  Unfortunately, a Vendo 216 really isn't worth putting thousands of dollars into without a known buyer beforehand.  I'm going to hope that the unit I have merely needs a recharge, which means probably a slow leak somewhere in the system that will have to be fixed.  Still cheaper than replacing the whole unit though. I've got a guy coming to check it out tomorrow, so we shall see!!!

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2011, 10:40:21 pm »

Ken,

I wasn't speaking of you specific... just in general. No, your machine isn't worth the dollar value, but
if it were in your granddad's hardware store, and you wanted it repaired...well, then it might be worth it,
to you. That's the other side of what I do as well. I get that question all the time, "what's it worth?". My
answer is "what's it worth TO YOU?" Of all the people who call, I probably only sell about 10%. I get a lot
of "tire kickers" but I do get folks who want it done right, as well. Either way, I enjoy talking to them.

If you have any questions, about what your man finds, call me. Opinions cost nothing, and hell...I even
pay for the phone call!  Cool
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 04:09:17 pm by globalcompressors » Logged

Ken R
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2011, 05:24:58 pm »

Haha, thanks Eric.  Turns out the compressor and cooling system is fine.  It was almost empty on freon, so he recharged, checked for leaks and all is good.  $75 for a housecall and recharge, so I figure that's a pretty darn good deal!!!

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
briandr1
25 Cent Member

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 07:28:19 am »

since they outlawed manufacturing freon in the U.S. I imagine as supply runs out price goes up. I was gonna ask are they still manufacturing r 12 in mexico?

selectivend 64 sa
2 cavalier 96
1975 bally hi deal em pinball machine
1920 wate and fate penny  scale
sodaman
25 Cent Member

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 09:19:31 am »

I have bought several compressors from Eric and have found him honest and forthright.  I am confident that the price he quotes is a fair one.  Harrison Collins

VMC 81:RC, 7UP Pepsi
Jacobs: 26(4), 160, 35, 50, 56 
Quikold RC, Orange Crush, Barqs
General Vending Leader , Master & Midget(THE DALY 32)
American Vendor 124
Guiberson, DP 27 W/stand
VMC 33 7UP, Pepsi 
Mills 45, 47A, 120 W/bottle display
2 Delf Triples VMC 72
70+ soda Venders, 6 Stoner
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 11:58:57 am »

It has been a few years back since I purchased from Eric.  At the time I had a local company quote me on a compressor replacement.  I was able to get the whole cooling unit from Eric for less than the local guy. 

He has my business from now on. 
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 03:16:41 pm »

since they outlawed manufacturing freon in the U.S. I imagine as supply runs out price goes up. I was gonna ask are they still manufacturing r 12 in mexico?

Yes. In fact the Dow plant that still makes R12 exports the majority of it to China

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2011, 05:07:08 pm »

Thanks Guys.

Johnie, wait til the patent runs out on 134a, then we'll see what happens... jawdrop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: